"Don't Be So Gay!"
Queers, Bullying, and Making Schools Safe
- $35.95s paperback (9780774823272) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: August 2013
- Subject Listing: Law, Queer Studies
- Bibliographic information: 316 pp., 9 illus., 6 x 9 in.
- Territorial rights: U.S. rights only
- Distributed for: UBC Press
- Series: Law and Society Series
Recent cases of teen suicide linked with homophobic bullying have thrust the issue of school safety into the national spotlight. In “Don’t Be So Gay!” Queers, Bullying, and Making Schools Safe, Donn Short considers the effectiveness of safe-school legislation. Drawing on interviews with queer youth and their allies in the Toronto area, Short concludes that current legislation is more responsive than proactive.
Donn Short is an assistant professor of law at Robson Hall Faculty of Law at the University of Manitoba and the founding editor of the Canadian Journal of Human Rights.