Mauro Peressini and Rachel Beauvoir-Dominique
- $9.95s paperback (9780660202594) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: July 2013
- Subject Listing: Latin American Art
- Bibliographic information: 108 pp., 68 color illus., 6 x 6 in.
- Territorial rights: U.S. rights only
- Distributed for: Canadian Museum of Civilization
Over 300 stunning Vodou artifacts from the internationally recognized Marianne Lehmann Collection are at the heart of Vodou. This book demystifies a spiritual tradition that remains very much alive in Haiti and among Haitians abroad. Shaped by a history of slavery, oppression and resistance, Haitian Vodou is far removed from the myths manufactured by Hollywood. It is both a spirituality and a cultural movement that celebrates the past and present of the Haitian people.
Mauro Peressini is curator of Southwest Europe and Latin America, at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Rachel Beauvoir-Dominique is an anthropologist and a founding member of the Fondation pour la preservatio and a professor at the University of Haiti.