Tumelo Mosaka and Irene V. Small
- $39.00 paperback (9781883015466) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: March 2013
- Subject Listing: Contemporary Art, Latin American Studies
- Bibliographic information: 148 pp., 50 color illus., 7 x 9.5 in.
- Territorial rights: World
- Distributed for: Krannert Art Museum
Brazil has long been called the "country of the future." This book documents an exhibition that examines Brazil from the perspective of blindness as a critical category, a metaphor for the way in which the obstruction of perception can illuminate alternate modes of knowledge and experience. It features twenty emerging and mid-career artists working in Brazil who offer a critical perspective on processes of transition within contemporary society, be it from the public space of the street to the virtual zone of the computer screen, or the scale of local communities to the structure of large-scale political action. These works speak to the complexity and heterogeneity of an art milieu that is both tied to the local and manifestly global in reach.