Arts of Vanuatu
Crispin Howarth, with guest author Kirk Huffman
- $50.00 paperback (9780642334336) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: July 2013
- Subject Listing: Native Art, Oceanic Art
- Bibliographic information: 96 pp., color illus., 8.5 x 10.5 in.
- Territorial rights: North American rights only
- Distributed for: National Gallery of Australia
Kastom: Arts of Vanuatu showcases an impressive array of traditional arts through a program of field collecting that occurred on the islands of Ambrym and Malakula. Central to many traditional practices, kastom are masked performances and displays of sculpture, including iconic upright slit drums. A selection of these intensely visual works created for ritual events realized in wood and overmodeled with clay, feathers, pig tusks, stone and other surprising mediums such as tree fern are discussed. These arts are remarkably unchanged to those from over a century ago, as kastom is an inseparable part of Ni-Vanuatu culture.