Printed Images by Australian Artists 1885-1955
- paperback not available
- $80.00s hardcover (9780642542045) Add to Cart
- Published: 2008
- Subject Listing: Australian Art
- Bibliographic information: 328 pp., 439 color illus., notes, bibliog., index, 10 x 12 in.
- Territorial rights: North American rights only
- Distributed for: National Gallery of Australia
This volume follows printmaking through a seventy-year period, from the latter part of the ninteenth century as the print, freed from its reproductive bonds, became a vehicle for pure artistic expression; through the great social and political traumas of the first half of the twentieth century, when the print was co-opted to carry a political message; and concludes in the immediate postwar years with prints that signal the artists' seach for meaning and an awareness of self.
Roger Butler is senior curator of prints and drawings at the National Gallery of Australia. He is the author of Printed Images in Colonial Australia 1801-1901, the first of a planned three-volume series about the history of Australian prints.