Rights to Culture
Heritage, Language, and Community in Thailand
Edited by Coeli Barry
- $27.50s paperback (9786162150623) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: December 2013
- Subject Listing: Asian Studies
- Bibliographic information: 258 pp., 11 illus., notes, index, 5 x 8 in.
- Territorial rights: World rights except Southeast Asia
- Distributed for: Silkworm Books
This collection brings together original, small-scale, ethnographic research on minorities, displaced peoples, and communities contesting heritage, livelihood, language, and citizenship in Thailand. The case studies included here look at the rights of communities to manage their own cultural and natural resources across a range of settings, including ethnic Khmer communities in the Northeast, migrant groups in metropolitan Bangkok, and hill tribe communities in the North of Thailand.
Coeli Barry teaches at the Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University.
List of Illustrations
1. Rights to Culture: An Introduction / Coeli Barry
2. A Rights-Based Approach to Cultural Heritage Management at the Phanom Rung Historical Park in Northeast Thailand / Alexandra Denes and Tiamsoon Sirisrisak
3. Conserving Bangkok's Premier Heritage District: Ambitious Plans and Ambiguous Rights / K. C. Ho and Pornpan Chinnapong
4. Rights Claims and the Strategic Use of Culture to Protect Human Rights: The Community Forest Movement in Thailand / Bencharat Sae Chua
5. An Uneasy Engagement: Political Crisis and Human Rights Culture in Thailand, 1958 to 1988 / Tyrell Haberkorn
6. The Politics of Scripts: Language Rights, Heritage, and the Choice of Orthography for Khmer Vernaculars in Thailand / Peter Vail and Panuwat Pantakod
7. Negotiating with the Center: Diversity and Local Cultures in Thailand / Sirijit Sunanta
8. Culture and Rights for Urban Minorities in Bangkok / Matthew Mullen and Mike Hayes
9. Controlling Bad Drugs, Creating Good Citizens: Citizenship and Social Immobility for Thailand's Highland Ethnic Minorities / Mukdawan Sakboon
List of Contributors