Indigenous Encounters with Neoliberalism
Place, Women, and the Environment in Canada and Mexico
The recognition of Indigenous rights and the management of land and resources have always been fraught with complex power relations and conflicting expressions of identity. This book explores how the issue is playing out in two countries very differently marked by neoliberalism's local expressions - Canada and Mexico. Weaving together four distinct case studies, this book presents insights from Indigenous feminism, critical geography, political economy, and postcolonial studies.
- Published: February 2014
- Subject Listing: Gender Studies, Indigenous Studies
- Bibliographic information: 284 pp., 6 x 9 in.
- Territorial rights: Usa Only
- Distributed for: UBC Press
Isabel Altamirano-Jiménez (Zapotec) is anassociate professor in the Department of Political Science and in theFaculty of Native Studies at the University of Alberta.
"Altamirano-Jiménez makes a powerful and compelling argument for a deeper understanding of Indigenous mobilization and resurgence in the wider context of gender, colonialism, and neoliberal regimes. This text should be required reading in the fields of Indigenous studies, political science, and women's studies."
-Jeff Corntassel, Associate Professor, School of Indigenous Governance, University of Victoria
"This ambitious work examining and comparing Indigenous struggles in Canada and Mexico impressively draws together theoretical studies of space, place, indigeneity, and gender. It will benefit scholars in a wide range of fields."
-Lisa Mills, associate professor, School of Public Policy and Administration, Carleton University
Introduction: The Articulation of Indigeneity and
1. The Political Economy of Indigeneity Articulation
2. Indigeneity, Nature, and Neoliberalism
3. Nunavut: Arctic Homeland and Frontier
4. The Nisga'a "Common Bowl," Gender, and Property
5. The Zapatista Movement: Place-Driven Recognition?
6. Indigeneity, Land, and Gender in Oaxaca
Conclusion: Toward Spaces of Indigenous Repossessions