Security Metadata Administration Tool (for Data
As described in the About Data Security
page, Data Custodians are responsible for applying the data security
rules defined in the Security
Access and Roles
Matrix (Matrix). These rules are also metadata about security.
The Security Metadata Administration Tool (SMAT) lets you (the Data Custodian) manage access to
Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) data in accordance with UW data security policy. While
this tool is available to Data Custodians only, anyone with access to the central report server can see
the security settings applied to all EDW tables and columns available for querying and reporting, for
every role described in the Matrix. For more information, see Current Data Security Settings.
To access the SMAT
application, go to https://ucs.admin.washington.edu/SMAT.
The SMAT User Guide
provides easy-to-follow instructions for applying the Security Access and Roles Matrix security requirements. Before you start using the SMAT, remember:
- Only Data Custodians can use the SMAT.
- You must use Internet Explorer(8.0 and under) with the SMAT. Other browsers are not supported.
- As a Data Custodian, you are expected to understand the data access business rules in your subject area and are responsible for applying those rules correctly.
- SMAT administrators (Enterprise Data & Analytics [EDA] business analysts) approve submitted security documents and are responsible for confirming that the SMAT application has been used correctly.
- Report technical issues and send notification when submitted tables are ready for approval to email@example.com.