How To Get Setup to Add Metadata to a Report
Report authors are responsible for collecting report metadata for each report
they run. This metadata is then added to the report metadata database for
inclusion in the report. The following instructions provide an overview of the
steps necessary to get setup to add metadata to a
- Request access to Publish Reports (in the Report Metadata
database) (one-time step)
- Install the MS Access Report Metadata Front End Tool
- Connect to the Report Metadata database
Install the MS Access report metadata Front End Tool
Copy the MS Access database called RptMetaData.accdb into any directory on your computer.
Connect to the ReportMetadata Database
Once you have been granted access to the Microsoft SQL ReportMetadata database, you must create an Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) connection to access the database. These instructions apply to PCs with a Windows 7 operating systems.
- Click the Start button, click Control Panel, and then do one of the following:
- In Category View, click System and Security and then click Administrative Tools.
- In Small Icons View, click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Data Sources (ODBC).
- The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box appears.
- Click the System DSN tab. (Use User DSN if you don’t have permission to save System DSNs on your machine)
- Click Add.
- Select SQL Server Native Client 11.0 (or SQL Server Native Client 10.0 or SQL Server, if you don't have either later version)
- Click Finish
- ReportMetaData for the Name and for the Description
- edwtestpub1.s.uw.edu\Test for the Server
- Click Next
- Leave the defaults for the next window and click Next
- Click the box: Change the default database to ReportMetaData
- Click Next
- Select Use strong encryption for data, leave the remaining default choices, and click Finish
- Click Test Data Source, to confirm the connection; then click OK, and OK to complete the process.