Enterprise Document Management
The procurement process has been completed for the UW’s new Enterprise Document Management System (EDMS), a centrally supported platform for the digitizing and storage of electronic documents, and efforts are underway to build the new technology and capabilities. Once implemented, the project supports institutional goals by working towards making paperless business flows the norm at the University, reducing our impact on the environment while better supporting increased efficiency and cross-department collaboration on critical content. The new technology and capabilities will enable secure access to business documents and improve compliance with record retention policies, while reducing the risk of unauthorized access to confidential information.
Here are the capabilities that will be developed:
- Central repository for content
- Imaging and content-recognition (OCR) capabilities
- Integration capabilities and workflow standards
- Enterprise security and metadata standards for content
- Business Process Transformation toolkit/capability
- Standard, streamlined records management capability
- Service and Operational Support capabilities
The project is being managed by Information Management’s Document Imaging & Management System team and is a collaboration of UW-IT, Financial Management, Office of Research, Office of Planning and Budgeting, UW Bothell, Student Life, and the School of Medicine. The plan is to launch EDMS as a service to campus next year following a pilot phase with several collaborating departments.