Networks & Telecommunications
Networks & Telecommunications is responsible for designing, building and operating the University’s wired and wireless networks and telecommunications services, bringing together network architecture, engineering, operations and support teams.
This division additionally supports the state K-20 Education Network and national and international networks, including the Pacific Northwest Gigapop, Internet2 and others. It also provides standards and services for wired and wireless networks (including data transport) and delivers critical services to the University in support of teaching, learning, administration and research.
This division is responsible for:
- Mobile Communications: Provides architectural design and engineering for Wi-Fi and cellular networks serving the UW and UW Medicine. Also responsible for the strategy and architecture of HuskyTV.
- Network Design & Architecture: Develops network architectures and provides service standards and designs for network and telecommunications services for the UW, UW Medicine, Pacific Northwest Gigapop and the state K-20 Education Network; and evaluates new network technologies.
- Network Operations Management: Activates network/phone ports and installs switches, wireless access points, and routers for the networks supporting the UW, UW Medicine, Pacific Northwest Gigapop and the state K-20 Education Network; and provides 24x7x365 network monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Network Strategy & Telecommunications: Designs, implements and operates UW telecommunications services, high-speed optical network connectivity across the state, and the K-20 Education Network.
- Research Networks: Designs, deploys and provides operational management for the Pacific Northwest Gigapop and Pacific Wave research networks, delivering robust, highest-speed access to current state-of-the-art Internet and next-generation Internet services and technology.
Associate Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
Email | 206-685-4179
UW Mailbox: 359540