DCSO Student Assistant
The UW Computing Infrastructure Datacenter Services team is currently hiring beginning immediately. We are looking for students with a passion for World Class technology infrastructure and excellent attention to detail.
You will be providing support for the University of Washington’s data centers and other mission critical technical facilities. The Student Assistant supports continuous operations and availability of computing, storage and network platforms by performing datacenter labeling, wiring management, connecting data cables to equipment, and providing logistical support to datacenter professional staff.
Student must be proficient in the communicating, reading and writing in English. The Student Assistant must be proficient and able to read and interpret CAD drawings; identify data center infrastructure as needed to support staff and customer service requirements; and have aptitude leading to assisting with removal of unused infrastructure from raised floor areas; maintains inventories of cabling and hardware within the data centers.
As a Student Assistant, you will:
- Re-label all power whips both below the floor and above the floor in the tower data center.
- Connect PDU’s to ports (by installing cat 5 cables) at both data centers and catalog port needs.
- Label PDU’s in cabinet for ease of identification (approx. 600 cabinets).
- Stock the Customer Cable cabinets.
- Provide Rack elevation drawings in DCIM tool for all UWIT Racks at all locations.
- Other duties assigned based on aptitude, attitude, and gained skillsets.
Minimum qualifications for Datacenter Student Assistant:
- Some customer service skills
- Read CAD drawings
- Aptitude in maintaining inventory of infrastructure equipment
- Distinguish color coded wiring
- Background check passed
- Entry level position
No datacenter or technical experience is required. Previous experience working in a team environment would be beneficial. Related college coursework may be requested. Please be prepared with references.
Class Level: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior
Desired Major(s): All Majors
- Currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis for any employee without restriction.
Level of Experience: No experience required
Salary Level: $12.50-$15.00/hr. starting