Undergraduate Research Program
This timeline is intended to give students and mentors an idea of the Symposium application and presentation process and should be considered approximate and subject to change.
Early January – late February
- Application opens in early-mid January 2015
- Completed student applications are due by Monday, February 23, 2015 11:59pm. Mentor approval of the abstract due by February 27, 2015.
- Symposium information sessions – These sessions are designed to introduce students to the Undergraduate Research Symposium, the application process, and the day-of procedures.
- Abstract writing workshops – The abstract writing workshop includes information on what exactly is an abstract, how to write one, and what information to include.
Early – late March
- Abstract review – Review committee reads abstracts and makes revision recommendations.
- Notification – Students are notified of the status of the application and asked to make revisions, if necessary, based on committee feedback.
Early – late April
- Revisions – Students make revisions to their abstracts based on committee feedback. In some cases, students will be asked to meet with URP staff for quick (~15 minute) meetings to help with revisions. Revised abstracts will be due mid-April.
- Confirmation – After students submit their revised abstract, URP staff review it and send an acceptance notification. At that time, students must officially confirm their participation in the Symposium via our MySymposium application system. During this process, students are able to nominate their mentor for a Research Mentor Award. Official confirmation will be due mid-April, shortly after the abstract revision deadline.
- Session assignments – Poster presenters will be assigned to one of four poster sessions. Oral presenters will be assigned to an oral presentation session with similarly-themed projects. Students will receive their assignment only after they have given their final confirmation (see above).
- Poster design workshops – These workshops focus on how to design a poster, what information to include, and how to draw the attention of your audience through the use of a visual aid.
Early – mid May
- PowerPoint presentation workshops – These workshops address how to organize a Powerpoint presentation, how to design slides, and how to draw the attention of your audience.
- Oral presentation practice sessions – Practice your Symposium oral presentation and get feedback. We encourage you to come to the sessions regardless of what stage of the preparation process you are in. URP Staff, UW Staff, and PostDocs will be available to help you. The practice sessions are also a good opportunity to familiarize yourself with the technology in the room.