Summer research programs at UW
A number of summer research programs are hosted at the University of Washington each summer. These programs differ from other on-campus research opportunities in that they usually require a formal application process (often during Winter Quarter); may be open to non-UW students; have a fixed term during the summer (often 9-10 weeks); and are full-time or close-to-full-time commitments (30-40 hours/week).
Summer research programs give students the opportunity to have an immersive research experience during the summer period that might not be possible during the school year. Summer programs are a great chance for students to try something new or take their experience to the next level.
Below are some summer research programs affiliated with UW. Note that only the Summer Institute in the Arts & Humanities is directly administered by the URP. For all other programs, information about each program, as well as how to apply, can be found on the individual program webpages listed below. If you find any broken links, please email email@example.com.
If you would like us to add your research opportunity to the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the program information.
= Indicates programs that are open to international students studying at U.S. institutions pursuing an undergraduate degree. Please check program sites for specific eligibility criteria and information. International students should also use the Advanced Search feature of the Pathways to Science database to limit their search to opportunities open to non-US citizens.
Arts, Humanities, & Social Sciences
- The Summer Institute in the Arts & Humanities
- Excavations at Tel Dor in Israel (Affiliated with UW – Conducted in Tel Dor, Israel)
- UW-Exploration Seminars (Affiliated with UW – Various locations and themes)
- UW-SU Undergraduate Exchange Program (Affiliated with UW – Conducted in Chengdu, China)
- Travel and Study Programs at UW Tacoma (Affiliated with UW – Various locations and themes)
Medicine & Health
- Stipends for Training Aspiring Researchers (STAR)
- Innovations in Pain Research Summer Program
- Neurological Surgery Summer Student Program
- Pharmacological Sciences Summer Diversity Program
- Summer Medical Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
Science, Engineering, Nanotechnology, Technology, & Mathematics
- CENTC Undergraduate Summer Research Program
- Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
- Clean Energy Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
- Environmental Health Research Experience Program
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Summer Internships (Affiliated with UW)
- Friday Harbor Labs – Integrative Biology and Ecology of Marine Organisms
- Friday Harbor Labs – Summer Marine Science Internships to Encourage Diversity in the Marine Sciences
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (Affiliated with UW)
- Inverse Problems REU
- Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean Summer Internship Program
- National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network REU
- Research in Biostatistics and Statistical Genetics
- UW Bothell Mathematics REU
- UW Genome Sciences Summer Research Program for Undergraduates
- UW GenOM Project: Genomics Outreach for Minorities
- UW Imaging Research Laboratory Summer Internships
- UW REU Program in Physics
- Washington NASA Space Grant Summer Undergraduate Research Program