Schedule an Advising Appointment   Email

What is the 105 credit/5 quarter rule?

Students are expected to declare a major by the time they have earned 105 credits and completed 5 quarters. Both conditions need to be met in order for the satisfactory progress rules to go into effect.


Students who have completed 90 or more credits and 4 or more academic satisfactory progress quarters will receive an email warning that they should plan to declare their major soon. No hold is placed at this point.

Registration Holds (SPP105)

Students who have completed 105 or more credits and 5 or more academic satisfactory progress quarters but have not declared a major will receive a registration hold and will not be allowed to register for the next quarter. Transfer students who enter with 105 or more credits are expected to declare a major before registering for their second quarter at the UW.

Pre-major Extensions (PMEs)

Students with this registration hold, who are not able to declare a major will need to work with their academic adviser as a Premajor Extension or PME, may be required. A PME is an education tool design to support a student's informed choice of and preparation for a major. PMEs are granted at the discretion of a student's academic adviser and are typically granted for one quarter.

Students who have not declared a major when the extension expires will receive a registration hold (SPPEXT) and must meet with an adviser again.

Students assigned to an adviser in UAA Advising, must work with their assigned UAA adviser for a PME.

Requesting a Pre-major Extension (PME)

If you are assigned to an adviser in UAA, please review the information on this page and then follow the PME request process.  If you are assigned to another department, please contact your adviser.