Undergraduate Academic Affairs

May 12, 2015

Reflections and dreams of graduating seniors

Undergraduate Academic Affairs

Back to the spring 2015 UAA e-newsletter >

There is a palpable feeling of transition on campus as graduating seniors prepare to begin a new chapter. We wanted to know, what are the memories that will stay with them? And how has their UW experience influenced their hopes and dreams for the future? We asked and they answered the following questions:

• What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why?
  • What is one of your favorite UW memories?
  • What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal?

Meet:
Alex ChunNesley BravoAnnie E. LindseyCassie HallsNimotalai AzeezDrew ConleyJahira TeagueAlwin Wee Giat TanJuliana BorgesMalika Garoui Courtney DillStephanie RiedlTanner Mortensen

Portrait of Alex Chun

Alex Chun

Major(s): Political science
Minor(s): Diversity

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? I would have to say that my “defining moment” as a Husky came when our big, tattoo covered, eccentric, and loving Hawaii Club advisor Alejandro “Val” Valdez Espania told me that “if you only hang out with Hawaii people you should have just stayed at UH because you are not getting the Husky experience.” Since that moment in April of 2012, I have served in the Dream Project, have been active in the First Year Interest Group Program, and have been an active member and officer of the Hawaii Club. Branching out has helped me make a bunch of new friends from Washington all the way to Malaysia, but also helped me to realize my passion for making situations better for individuals.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? To simply put it, there are too many good memories here at the UW. I would have to say that one of my favorite by far was when ESPN’s College Gameday came to campus for the Oregon game last year. The atmosphere on campus that week was electric, Gameday that morning was unforgettable, and the tailgate was one for the record books. While we lost the game, on that day, Husky Stadium was at its best and it made me proud to be a Husky and to rep the purple and gold.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? Next year, I am planning on attending the William S. Richardson (University of Hawaii) School of Law. Words can’t explain how excited and anxious I am to get the next chapter of my life started at home. I simply want to do all that I can to help people, and I personally cannot think of a better way to do this than to serve Hawaii’s people in public office. I hope to repay and give back to the great people of Hawaii who have been so instrumental in my development and values that I live by today. I aspire to run for public office and hope to one day be the governor of the state that has always been, and always will be home.

Back to top

Portrait of Nesley Bravo

Nesley Bravo

Major(s): Social welfare
Minor(s): Education, learning and society

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? Joining the Dream Project my freshman year sparked my passion to work with students from disadvantaged populations. As students would share with me their stories of loss and hardships when working on their college applications, I became inspired by how, despite the barriers faced, they were working towards social mobility for themselves and their families through education.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? One of my favorite memories from the UW was when my First Year Programs co-workers and I went on a retreat to one of our homes in Olympia for the weekend. It was a memorable experience swimming all day and sleeping under the stars while learning more about my peers.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I will be attending Washington University in St. Louis’ Brown School for my master’s in social welfare this fall. Afterwards, I to aspire to do research abroad on international welfare systems through fellowships like Fulbright.

Back to top

Portrait of Annie E. Lindsey

Annie E. Lindsey

Major(s): Political science; communications
Minor(s): Gender, women & sexuality studies

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? I took a political science course my sophomore year titled “Women in Politics.” This class introduced me to new theories, ideas and explanations for things I had always felt, but never had the words to express. It was the first time I felt my thoughts and opinions were truly validated, and it opened me up to learning more about how our society constructs certain standards, identities and perceptions of others. “Women in Politics” inspired me to add on a GWSS minor so I could continue developing a critical and analytic mental framework.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? I was fortunate enough to travel to India with 25 other amazing UW women the summer after my junior year. It was an exploration seminar that focused on the role of women in entrepreneurship and leadership in India. We met with a number of powerhouse ladies who opened up to us about their various backgrounds and experiences. The people I met and the memories I made will stick with me forever.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I’m looking to enter the ever-changing nonprofit world, hopefully working for women’s issues in some capacity. Long term, I’d love to work for an organization that encourages women to run for elected office. That, and I want to adopt an orange tabby cat.

Back to top

Portrait of Cassie Halls

Cassie Halls

Major(s): Comparative history of ideas

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? My involvement with the UW Pipeline Project was a defining aspect of my incredible experience at the University of Washington. With the Pipeline Project, I had the opportunity to facilitate my own undergraduate seminar, help with a digital literacy project in a rural elementary school in Neah Bay, WA, and organize an independent leadership project with the director of the program, Christine Stickler. These experiences made me passionate about teaching, mentorship and nonprofit work, which is what I hope to do in the future.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? One of my favorite UW memories was working on the UW Student Cooperative Farm at the Botany Greenhouse. I would participate in dirty dozen, a volunteer farming crew that learned about sustainable agriculture through planting, harvesting and maintaining the UW farms at the Greenhouse and at the Center for Urban Horticulture. I met many friends through this group, ate a lot of amazing pizza at pizza bakes, grew delicious food and had a great time getting my hands dirty!

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—a Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I’m doing an internship at a natural history museum in Chicago, working on a community research project focusing on sustainability and culture. I’m hoping to someday become an anthropologist who can conduct independent community-based research, to go to graduate school and maybe someday become a professor!

Back to top

Portrait of Nimotalai Azeez

Nimotalai Azeez

Major(s): Community, environment and planning
Minor(s): Geography; diversity

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? “Urban Politics” or “Political Science 381.” This class sparked a growing passion for urban policy and the history of urban life in the United States. I was interested in every unit we had in this class, because all the lectures, readings and discussion stretched my mind. This class was also one of the most challenging classes at UW, which made it all the more memorable.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? One of my favorite UW memories was attending the Black Student Union Legacy Soiree last year. There was such a great energy at the event that promoted Black excellence at UW, and it was encouraging to hear a lot inspirational and influential speakers from the community.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I will be starting graduate school at Rutgers University in the fall. And pursuing a master’s of city and regional planning with a concentration in community development.

Back to top

Portrait of Drew Conley

Drew Conley

Major(s): Political science (international security option)

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? My first time volunteering with Dawg Daze really sparked my passion at UW. My high school graduating class was only 20 students, and my first year at UW was difficult at times. My sophomore year I decided that I wanted to get involved and experience more of what our university had to offer. Volunteering with Dawg Daze helped me meet many new people and allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and experience our campus in a new and exciting way.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? One of my favorite memories at the University of Washington was leading my first campus tour. Ever since I started attending UW, I knew I wanted to work for the Department of Admissions as a tour guide. It took me several years to get the job, and I was so excited when I was selected for the position. Being a tour guide gives me the opportunity to interact with people from all over the country. I’m able to share what UW means to me and show others our beautiful campus. When I look back at my time at our university, being a tour guide will definitely be one of my greatest experiences.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? After graduation I plan on working for the government. I have really enjoyed my classes in political science at UW and hopefully I can find a career that I’m passionate about and that relates to what I have studied.

Back to top

Portrait of Jahira Teague

Jahira Teague, far right

Jahira Teague

Major(s): Linguistics
Minor(s): American sign language; education, learning & society

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? “Ling 200: Introduction to Linguistic Thought” really got me interested in linguistics. I love learning new languages and I enjoy teaching ELL (English Language Learners). That experience led me to become an elementary school tutor through the Pipeline Project. I eventually started an internship with Pipeline which has been an amazing experience for me.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? Going on my study abroad to South Africa. It was a small group of us and we had an amazing time!

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I’ve been accepted to the Masters in Teaching Program here at the UW! I’m really excited to start!

Back to top

Portrait of Alwin Wee Giat Tan

Alwin Wee Giat Tan

Major(s): Economics; applied and computation mathematical sciences

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? I had the chance to take several computer science and engineering (CSE) classes that gave me the chance to explore the many facets of education beyond my economics and ACMS major and this in itself has made me more interested in the plethora of things I have yet to explore in life upon graduation.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? Being a UAA peer adviser was undeniably one of the most rewarding experiences I have had here at the UW. It is amazing that I am able to share fresh perspectives and university resources with my peers in order to enhance their UW experience.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I hope to go back to Malaysia upon graduation and through the knowledge I have gained as an undergraduate here, I want to be able to help contribute to the country’s development via any possible means.

Back to top

Portrait of Juliana Borges

Juliana Borges

Major(s): Public health; sociology
Minor(s): Spanish

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? My passion at UW has been suicide prevention and mental health awareness, sparked by a personal loss of a friend to suicide and sustained by the connections I’ve made with the students and faculty on this campus. I co-founded a club and helped bring four suicide awareness walks to campus, but more importantly, I worked with an incredible group of passionate students and met great faculty and professionals at Forefront, a suicide prevention nonprofit in UW’s School of Social Work.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? I have to pick just one?! Being part of the peer advising staff in UAA has been an unforgettable experience. It truly became a home for me at UW and I’ve learned so much from my coworkers and the students we help every day. Also, despite a less than ideal final basketball season, I’ll always remember our team beating (ranked) Utah at home on Senior Day, on my last day in the Dawg Pack. Purple and gold for life, baby.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? My immediate plan is to move to western New York for a service year with Rochester AmeriCorps, working with students to provide need-based school and after-school interventions in the name of educational equity and social justice. I still working on my Big Hairy Audacious Goal! If you asked me today I’d say I see myself living in Seattle in the long term, looking at an MPH, MSW, and/or MPA from UW in the near-ish future.

Back to top

Portrait of Malika Garoui

Malika Garoui

Major(s): Math; economics
Minor(s): Education, learning & society

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? Studying abroad in Italy with the UW Honors Program made me realize how many incredible people and opportunities that UW could offer me. Even though the experience happened halfway around the world, I returned to campus feeling so connected and grateful to UW for providing such a transformational experience and for giving me the opportunity to meet some of the brightest, most inspirational individuals.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? Participating in the Alternative Spring Break program. I will always remember the incredible week that I spent with four UW students in the small town of Toppenish, WA, where we connected with the inspiring group of fourth graders.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I don’t have any concrete plans yet. I will be on campus, taking classes during summer quarter and then I am planning on participating in an Exploration Seminar as a non-matriculated student. I plan to continue traveling for a few weeks after the program and then return to Seattle and start seriously job hunting.

Back to top

Portrait of Courtney Dill

Courtney Dill

Major(s): Sociology
Minor(s): Diversity; education, learning & society

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? The experience that sparked my passion at UW was my time as an orientation leader the summer after my freshman year. Before being an OL I didn’t feel connected to the larger UW community but that quickly changed as the summer progressed. It was amazing knowing that what I was saying to these incoming students had a profound impact on their husky experience. Beyond my duties as an OL I was so inspired by the other orientation leaders I was working with. It was my first time experiencing the true diversity of students on this campus. If it wasn’t for being an orientation leader I would never have met the people I still consider great friends.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? When entering as a freshman I was on the Co-Ed Cheerleading squad so my most favorite UW memory was cheering at the first Husky football game in the original Husky Stadium. GO DAWGS!

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? After graduation, I will be moving to Baltimore, MD, to be a high school biology teacher through Teach For America. I will also be attending John Hopkins University to get a master’s of science in educational studies with a focus in secondary education!

Back to top

Portrait of Stephanie Riedl

Stephanie Riedl, center

Stephanie Riedl

Major(s): American Indian studies
Minor(s): Diversity studies

What class, event or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? My first experience at the University of Washington was attending the Living Breath of wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ, Indigenous Ways of Knowing Cultural Food Practices and Ecological Knowledge Symposium 2012. It was during my application process and was the moment I knew that I belonged here.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? I really enjoyed being a part of the Elders in Residency pilot program. Getting to work with and learn from elders from all around the Salish Sea helped me bring my education here at the University of Washington full circle. One of my favorite memories was making cedar roses with Makah Elder Theresa Parker, Jamestown S’Klallam Elder Elaine Grinnell and students from the school of social work.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? After graduation, I will be participating in the Māhina Indigenous research traineeship. I hope to gain experience conducting research within and for indigenous communities by helping to uncover some of social, cultural, and historical determinants of indigenous health and health disparities.

After that, I plan to travel the world, thanks to the support of the 2015 Bonderman Fellowship Program. My goals are to practice ethical tourism that respects indigenous communities, and explore the worlds vast biodiversity. My destinations include destinations include Mexico (Chiapas), Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Palau, Indonesia, and Iceland.

Back to top

Portrait of Tanner Mortensen

Tanner Mortensen

Major(s): Accounting & information systems

What class, event, or experience sparked your passion at UW and why? I studied international business abroad in Ireland the summer before my senior year. Being able to see a different part of the world really inspired me to travel much more often and see new places.

What is one of your favorite UW memories? My freshman year we had the “snowpocalypse”. I remember sledding down a hill on campus on a mattress. That was pretty cool.

What’s next after you graduate? Do you have a BHAG—Big Hairy Audacious Goal? I have accepted an offer from Deloitte & Touche LLP to work as a tech risk consultant in their audit and enterprise risk services section.

Back to top