Undergraduate Academic Affairs
April 14, 2014
On March 10, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor visited the University of Washington as part of her tour for the paperback release of her memoir, My Beloved World. Provost Ana Mari Cauce interviewed Justice Sotomayor in front of a mostly student audience of 1,100 in the Husky Union Building. Provost Cauce centered the interview on questions submitted by students and the audience learned about the Justice’s formative experiences that shaped her into who she is today.
Below is the full-length video of the interview, photos of the event, and links to media coverage about the Justice’s remarkable visit.
Watch what Sotomayor has to say on a range of issues, including advice she would give to her 20-year-old self, handling racially-charged situations, what she is optimistic about, and much more.
Photos from the event and after the event, when Justice Sotomayor went to each section of the audience and took selfies. After each picture, a chorus of student voices sang, “thank you!”
Photos from the interview
Selfies with students
Spring 2014 Alumni e-Newsletter
Table of Contents
- Message from Vice Provost and Dean Ed Taylor
- Entrepreneur Kirsten Rogers aims to take a bite out of cancer
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s visit to the UW
- Honors students discover the world, themselves
- UW collaboration, student discovery on display at Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Discover the impact of student service and leadership at the Spring Celebration
- Dream Project freshmen reflect on year 1 at the UW
Below are links to media stories about Justice Sotomayor’s visit.
- Sotomayor: Money in Politics is a Barrier for Women and Minority Politicians
The Wall Street Journal | 3/11/14
- UW students welcome Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor
KING5 | 3/10/14
- Justice Sotomayor shares some of life’s lessons with UW students
The Seattle Times | 3/10/14
- Sonia Sotomayor’s rules for living
The Seattle Times | 3/11/14
- Justice Sonia Sotomayor on finding life’s work, facing discrimination
UW Today | 3/11/14
- Supreme Court Justice discusses the experiences that shaped her
The Daily | 3/10/14