U-PASS with Transit Powered by ORCA
U-PASS powered by ORCA became valid for transit fare payment in June 2011 for faculty and staff and September 2011 for students.
Eligible students who pay the universal U-PASS fee need to tap to finalize their U-PASS within 60 days of issuance. Faculty, staff and students who are not eligible for the universal U-PASS fee may elect to purchase U-PASS membership. These U-PASS members will need to tap their card on an ORCA card reader within 60 days of purchase to finalize U-PASS activation. ORCA card readers are available on all buses and in light rail/Sounder stations.
Learn more about activation and other important info by clicking on your campus photo below.
Important information about the U-PASS transition to ORCA-powered transit for each campus
*Information about the transition at Harborview can be found on the Harborview Parking and Security intranet webpage.
Effective Date for Faculty and Staff: January 2, 2013
Effective Date for Students: January 2, 2013
As a U-PASS Program participant, I agree to the following:
1. I understand that in order to participate in the U-PASS Program and for the U-PASS function of my Husky Card to be active for use I must pay the established U-PASS fee and remain in compliance with U-PASS Program eligibility criteria. U-PASS Program eligibility criteria are specific to each campus program and are available at: www.u-pass.washington.edu.
2. I will utilize the U-PASS function of my Husky Card in conjunction with the ORCA transit payment system for my personal transportation provided by participating transit agencies. I will not transfer my Husky Card or the U-PASS function of my Husky Card to any other person. I understand that my use of the U-PASS function of my Husky Card and any other ORCA products on my Husky Card may be remotely disabled/blocked from further use and my Husky Card may be subject to immediate confiscation if I misuse this benefit.
3. I understand that the U-PASS function of my Husky Card is valid for the following services:
a. Full fare for regular and paratransit transportation services provided by King County Metro, Sound Transit, Community Transit, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Transit, and Everett Transit; and
b. Other transportation discounts and offerings based upon my U-PASS membership as described in my campus’ U-PASS web page, available at: www.u-pass.washington.edu.
4. I understand that if I purchase a U-PASS as a University faculty or staff member at Seattle, Bothell or Harborview campuses, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card will not be ready for use for approximately two (2) days following purchase of my U-PASS membership.
I understand that if I purchase a U-PASS as a University faculty or staff member at the Tacoma campus, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card will not be ready for use for approximately two (2) business days following the purchase of my U-PASS membership.
I understand that if I obtain a U-PASS through the Universal U-PASS program on the Seattle campus, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card will be ready for use approximately one (1) week prior to the start of the next quarter if I register for classes nine (9) or more days before the quarter start date or within approximately two (2) days if I register for classes less than nine (9) days before the quarter start date.
If I am a student who is not eligible for Universal U-PASS and purchase a U-PASS, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card will be ready for use one (1) week prior to the start of the next quarter if I purchase a U-PASS nine (9) or more days before the quarter start date or within approximately two (2) days if I purchase a U-PASS less than nine (9) days before the next quarter start date.
5. I understand that in order to utilize the U-PASS function I must first finalize activation of the U-PASS function by tapping my Husky Card on an ORCA card reader. I understand that the U-PASS function will not be available for transit services if I do not finalize activation of the U-PASS function for use within 60 days of obtaining my U-PASS, obtaining a replacement Husky Card, and/or when my U-PASS is renewed or reactivated. I understand that in the event that the U-PASS function activation is not finalized within 60 days of obtaining my U-PASS I must go online to www.u-pass.washington.edu/reactivate to request reactivation of the U-PASS function or contact the office facilitating the U-PASS program at my campus. I understand that the University of Washington will not be held liable for any transportation costs incurred by me between the time of purchase and activation of the U-PASS function.
6. I understand that prior to or upon boarding the services outlined in section three (3) or entering a fare paid area, I am required to pay the posted fare with the U-PASS function of my Husky Card by tapping my Husky Card on an ORCA card reader. I understand that my failure to do this may subject me to a warning or fine from the applicable transit or law enforcement agency. I understand that Central Link Light Rail, Sounder, Rapid Ride and Swift services require that I present my Husky Card to any Fare Enforcement Officer who requests proof of payment. I also understand that I must tap my Husky Card on an ORCA reader after exiting a Central Link Light Rail or Sounder train, which ensures the appropriate fare is validated.
7. I understand that I am responsible for paying fares or fees for any services that I subscribe to or use that are not included in the U-PASS Program membership, including, but not limited to, Washington State Ferries service, InterCity Transit, and parking within UW parking facilities.
8. I understand that payment of the U-PASS membership fee does not guarantee a specific level of service provided by the transit agencies participating in the U-PASS Program. There will be no refunds of U-PASS fees in the event of routes being changed, reduced, or cancelled.
9. I understand that I am permitted to have only one active U-PASS Program membership.
10. I understand that the U-PASS function of my Husky Card does not include the same features as a standard ORCA card. Differences include, but are not limited to, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card does not have “Electronic Purse” capabilities and I cannot register my card in the ORCA system.
11. I will immediately report my lost or stolen Husky Card to the office that issues Husky Cards on my campus. I will immediately report my non-performing U-PASS function to the office that issues U-PASSes on my campus whose webpage is available at: www.u-pass.washington.edu.
12. I understand that a replacement fee may be charged at the discretion of the office that issues Husky Cards at my campus for any replacement Husky Card issued to me. I understand that the U-PASS function of my Husky Card may not be activated for use for approximately two (2) days after the issuance of my replacement Husky Card or restored U-PASS function. I understand that I am entitled to no refund for any transit services utilized by me at any time the U-PASS function of my Husky Card is unavailable to me.
13. I understand that if I load additional ORCA products onto my Husky Card, I do so at my own risk. I understand that if I report my Husky Card as lost or stolen or I am no longer eligible for a Husky Card, the U-PASS function of my Husky Card will be disabled resulting in my U-PASS function being permanently blocked from use and potentially resulting in all other ORCA products being permanently blocked from use. I understand that no refunds or replacements will be issued by the University or by the ORCA Agencies for ORCA products I load onto my Husky Card if my card is lost, stolen, damaged or disabled.
16. I understand that the ORCA system will record data each time I utilize the U-PASS function of my Husky Card. Data recorded when I present my U-PASS to an ORCA card reader device includes the date, time, route, transit agency ID, vehicle number, and nature of transaction. I understand that data owned by ORCA is accessible to the University of Washington and may be accessible to the public under state Public Records Law or by court order.
17. I understand that faculty/staff U-PASS Program fees paid through payroll deduction will be automatically deducted each pay period unless I cancel my U-PASS membership. If I have insufficient funds to pay my U-PASS fee through payroll deduction, my U-PASS may be deactivated based on my campus’ U-PASS sales policies and I shall be responsible for any outstanding fee accrued. U-PASS sales policies are specific to each campus program and are available at: www.u-pass.washington.edu.
18. If I am a faculty or staff member at UW Seattle, I understand I will receive notification and opportunity to renew my U-PASS or cancel my U-PASS membership annually. I understand if I pay my U-PASS fees through payroll deduction, I am responsible for making payments until I contact Commuter Services to request cancellation of my U-PASS and have payroll deductions stopped. I understand that a change in employment status does not constitute a cancellation of my U-PASS and that I am responsible for ensuring that my U-PASS is cancelled if I separate from the UW or go on leave without pay.
19. If I am a faculty or staff member at UW Seattle, I understand that if I have insufficient funds to pay the U-PASS fee for two (2) consecutive payroll deductions, my U-PASS will be deactivated and I will need to bring my account out of arrears before my U-PASS can be reactivated. I understand that I am responsible for any outstanding balances accrued before my U-PASS is deactivated. If I am employed on a nine-month appointment and not paid during the summer quarter, my U-PASS will not be deactivated during the summer. In such case, U-PASS charges related to the summer quarter will be assessed in-full from my first paycheck upon resumption of work.
20. If I am a UW Seattle student who obtained my U-PASS through payment of the Universal Student U-PASS Fee, a UW Seattle student who purchased my U-PASS through UW Educational Outreach, or a UW Bothell or UW Tacoma student who purchased a U-PASS, I understand my student U-PASS will be deactivated if I withdraw from classes. If I withdraw on or before the 7th calendar day of the quarter, my U-PASS will be deactivated and 100 percent of the U-PASS fee will be credited to my student account. If I withdraw on the 8th through the 30th calendar day of the quarter, my U-PASS will be deactivated and 50 percent of the U-PASS fee will be credited to my student account. If I withdraw on or after the 31st calendar day of the quarter, my U-PASS will be deactivated and I will receive no credit for the U-PASS fee on my student account. I understand I am responsible for paying any outstanding U-PASS fee owed even though my U-PASS has been deactivated.
21. If I am a UW faculty member, staff member, or Seattle student who purchased a U-PASS on a quarterly basis via cash, check, credit card, or Husky Debit, (quarterly U-PASSes are not available via payroll deduction at all campuses), I understand that I will not receive a refund if I withdraw from enrollment or terminate employment with the University of Washington. I understand that in the event of my withdrawal from enrollment or termination of employment with the University my U-PASS purchased on a quarterly basis will remain active through the remainder of the U-PASS quarterly validity period.
Purple Husky Cards with Photo
For their U-PASS to work on transit, U-PASS members must have a purple Husky Card. The purple Husky Cards have a photo and are embedded with smart chip technology. The magnetic stripe is used for campus services.
Privacy Issues and U-PASS
No personal information will be stored on the smart chip. The chip contains a number with instructions to activate or deactivate U-PASS membership. The University of Washington (UW) sends files which contain these numbers to the region’s ORCA system. No names or UW ID numbers are included in the files. Limited trip data is also stored on the chip for the purpose of processing transit transactions or payment, but it is not associated with names or UW ID numbers.
For immediate questions, email U-PASS. Please enter “ORCA Question” in the subject line.