Information for facilitators
Call for facilitators
We no longer accepting applications for workshop facilitators at this year’s TA/RA Conference on Teaching, Learning and Research.
If you are a graduate student with TA and/or RA experience at the UW and interested in applying to lead a workshop at the conference, we encourage you to apply next year. Review of applications usually begins in April. We welcome applicants from all disciplines. Please feel welcome to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The TA/RA Conference aims to help prepare graduate students for their TA and RA roles at UW by focusing on four goals:
- Welcome new TAs and RAs to UW teaching, learning and mentoring communities
- Provide new TAs and RAs with specific strategies and practices that will support their work
- Connect new TAs and RAs to campus resources that support their work
- Assist new TAs and RAs in developing questions about norms, practices and resources within their departments
Graduate students attending the conference will be able to sign up for workshops offered over a three-day period. These workshops typically have 25 to 30 participants and are facilitated both by experienced graduate students and by faculty and staff from across the campus. For information about this year’s workshops and schedule, see the conference program and workshop Descriptions.
Facilitator role and stipend
We are looking for graduate students who have had TA and/or RA experience here at the University of Washington and are interested in helping new TAs and RAs develop their teaching and professional skills. Once selected, facilitators will indicate the workshops they are interested in facilitating.
CTL staff coordinate workshop planning sessions for all facilitators (new and returning) the week before the conference. At these sessions, facilitators will work together to review the goals of their workshop and to plan content, materials and activities for the workshop.
Facilitators will receive a $75 stipend for the first time they lead a particular workshop and $55 thereafter if they lead the same workshop more than once.
What you can expect of the CTL:
- We will provide resources and ideas to help you develop and implement your workshop(s)
- We will assist you with strategies for effective workshop design and facilitation
- Connect you in planning discussions with other TAs or RAs who are facilitating the same workshop
- Send you a letter documenting your work with the conference
What the CTL expects of you as a facilitator:
- Participate in the workshop planning sessions on Monday, September 12th (9:30-3:30, exact time depends on which workshop(s) you facilitate.
- Provide us with feedback on your experience as a facilitator and on the conference as a whole
- Contact us with any questions or concerns
Apply to become a TA/RA conference workshop facilitator
If you are interested in becoming a Conference facilitator, please complete the Online Facilitator Application. This form asks you for contact information, availability for the conference days and for the planning sessions, a summary of your UW TA and/or RA experience, and, for TAs, a brief (250-word) statement on how you help students learn.
- The Online Facilitator Application for the 2016 Conference is closed. Check back in April 2017 for next year’s application!
After you submit your application, a CTL staff member will contact you to set up a group interview. During the interview, we will discuss expectations, the preparation process and schedule, possible workshop assignments, and questions you may have.
For other questions and more information about facilitating at the conference, please contact email@example.com or call CTL 206-543-6588.