Information for TAs who are not native speakers of English
To be appointed as a Teaching Assistant, graduate students who are not native speakers of English are required (as stated in Graduate School Memo 15): (1) to demonstrate proficiency in spoken English and (2) to participate in CTL’s International TA Program.
Note exemption: non-native speakers of English who received a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution are not required to demonstrate proficiency in spoken English or to participate in the International TA Program.
1. Demonstrating proficiency in spoken English
To demonstrate proficiency in spoken English, most graduate students submit either a score of at least 26 on the speaking portion of the TOEFLiBT or a score of at least 65 on the Versant English Test. (For information about other tests that are accepted, see Graduate School Memo 15).
Graduate students whose spoken English proficiency test results do not meet the requirements can demonstrate proficiency in two other ways:
- Pass English 105, a course for TAs offered by UW International and English Language Programs.
- Pass a spoken English proficiency appeal interview. If a student’s test results are within a particular range (see Graduate School Memo 15), the department may request an appeal interview for the student.
To register for the Versant English Test
The Versant English Test is administered by UW’s Office of Educational Assessment (OEA).
- On Thursday, Sept. 14, Thursday, Sept. 21, and Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017, OEA will offer Versant English Test appointments every half hour between 9:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., and between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.. Space for each appointment time is limited, so be sure to register early!
- You can register for a test appointment by phone (206-543-1171), by email (email@example.com), or in person (Schmitz Hall 441). In your email, make sure to include test date, your name, UWNetID and student number. After your request has been processed, you will receive an email from OEA confirming your test time.
- The Versant English Test is offered by OEA throughout the year. So, you can also register for a test appointment on another date.
- For more information about Versant testing at UW, see OEA’s Versant Test webpage. Note that there is a fee of $50 to take the test (cash or check only).
- For more information about the Versant English Test, see CTL’s Versant English Test webpage and the Pearson Versant English Test website.
Optional Versant English Test Overview Session
Students who plan to take the Versant English Test may also attend an optional Versant English Test Overview Session on Wednesday, September 13, from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. This overview session will provide you with the opportunity to learn more about the test and to ask any questions you might have. To register for this optional session, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Participating in CTL’s International TA Program
TAs who are not native speakers of English are also required to participate in the International TA Program at the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). The International TA Program consists of two workshops at the TA Conference in September and ongoing support (optional workshops and/or individual consultations by request) during the year. The goal of the program is to support new TAs in their roles by addressing such topics as teaching methods, education in the U.S. and communicating effectively with students.
When you register for TA Conference, you are required to sign up for the two International TA Program workshops on Monday, September 18, 2017:
- Check-in for the International TA Program workshops:
11:30-1:15 Kane Hall, Walker-Ames (Room 225)
1:15-4:00 Kane Hall, Room 210
- Getting to Know UW Students: Overview for International TAs (1:15-2:30, Kane Hall, Room 210)
- Panel Discussion with Experienced International TAs (2:45-4:00, Kane Hall, Room 210)
If you have any questions about the International TA Program or about the requirements, you can call the CTL at 206-543-6588, or send a message to email@example.com.