Each year, the University of Washington honors several faculty members and graduate teaching assistants for their work with students. Awardees are chosen based on a variety of criteria including but not limited to mastery of the subject matter; ability to engage students both within and outside of the classroom; and innovations in course and curriculum design.
Congratulations to the 2013 Awards of Excellence Recipients!
Distinguished Teaching Award
Awarded to a faculty member only once in his/her lifetime and are inducted into the Teaching Academy.
- Eligibility: Current tenure-track faculty, lecturers, and instuctors with the University of Washington Seattle campus are eligible. Individuals whose appointment is less than 100% FTE are also eligible though breadth and depth of achievement weigh heavily. Each nomination is subject to verification.
- UW Bothell and UW Tacoma host separate nomination processes. Nominations received for either Bothell or Tacoma will not be forwarded. Please refer to their individual site on how to submit a nomination.
Excellence in Teaching Award
Honors two graduate teaching assistants for their demonstration of learning, teaching, and application of skills as they pursue their secondary degree.
- Eligibility: Current graduate teaching assistants with University of Washington Bothell, Seattle, and Tacoma are eligible. Nominees are subject to verification of eligibility.
- Extensive knowledge and mastery of the subject matter
- Innovation in course and curriculum design
- Ability to inspire, guide, and mentor students through independent and creative thinking
- Ability to engage students in a variety of classroom settings
- Serves as a mentor, collaborator and consultant to other faculty and teaching assistants by helping to enrich the scholarship of teaching and learning
The deadline for all nominations is Friday, December 14, 2012, 5 p.m.. All members of the University community (faculty, staff, students, alumni) are invited to nominate. Self nominations are not accepted and previous recipients are ineligible. All submissions must be through the online nomination form. Hard-copy letters will not be accepted.
Each individual nomination requires a separate online submission.
Upon verification of each nomination, the Selection Committee will request additional information which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Supporting letters (from colleagues, current students)
- Materials that show evidence of instructional excellence
Recipients will be contacted early Spring Quarter with all awardees being recognized at an annual recognition reception held on the UW Seattle campus. This ceremony is open to all three campuses (Bothell, Seattle, Tacoma).