Study Abroad


STEP 1:  Home University Nomination

Please note:  Graduate students on university-wide exchanges will be enrolled as undergraduates. Only departmental exchange students may apply to the UW as graduate students.

You must be officially nominated by your home institution in order to participate in a departmental graduate exchange. Upon receipt of your nomination, as well as a copy of your passport identification page, an electronic application will be created for you in our online system. Once created, you will be emailed instructions on how to log in and begin the application process.

STEP 2:  Online Application

As a graduate exchange student, you will need to complete the UW Study Abroad online application as well as the Graduate School online application since graduate admissions decisions are made directly by the department.

Please visit the Visiting Graduate Students webpage and complete the online Application for Graduate Study.  Select GRADUATE VISITING when selecting your program or department and complete all required fields.

In most cases you will be required to submit a personal statement as part of the application. In order to be a competitive candidate, your personal statement should clearly explain your background in the field of study, what you would like to study/research while at the UW, your future career interests, and other information about yourself that you feel is pertinent. We encourage you to identify unique and/or common research interests (with our faculty) and incorporate these points into your statement of purpose. Information about faculty research is generally available via each department’s website.

Note: Graduate exchange students are not eligible to participate in any fee-based programs listed here.

STEP 3:  Material Submissions  

The following documents should be scanned and emailed to as a single pdf labeled with your last name.  It is not necessary to submit any of these documents as hard copies. Please note that incomplete submissions will not be accepted.

  • Copy of passport identification page. This should be received with your official nomination from the partner university or department.
  • Official bank letter or bank statement verifying access to funds indicated in your Statement of Financial Responsibility questionnaire. You must prove you can cover your non-tuition expenses for the duration of your exchange. The Graduate School provides estimates on living expenses. If submitting a bank letter, it should be signed and/or stamped by a bank official.
  • Academic transcripts (preferably in English) from each college, university, professional or technical school attended. The minimum grade point average (GPA) should be the equivalent of 3.0.
  • Copy of Graduate Application (see Step 2 above).
  • Verification of English Proficiency (if applicable). Every exchange visitor must possess sufficient proficiency in English to successfully participate in the program and function on a day-to-day basis. Federal law requires sponsors use and retain evidence of the following “objective measurement” to determine the student’s English language proficiency.
    • TOEFL (IBT): 92 You should submit a scanned copy of your TOEFL score report. Some graduate departments may require a higher score.