Congratulations on your decision to study abroad! Please read the following list carefully and complete the necessary steps in order to prepare for your program.
First Stop: be sure to visit the Travel Documentation section of our website for more detailed information on Passports and Visas.
Get your passport
- If you don’t have a passport, apply for one as soon as possible.
- If you do have a passport, verify that it is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your program.
- If it is not valid for at least 6 months after the end of your program, you will need to renew your passport.
- For U.S. Citizens, please visit travel.state.gov to renew or apply for a new passport.
- For Non-U.S. Citizens, please visit the embassy/consulate website of your destination country to find out your specific requirements.
- You may need an entry visa or other travel documents to study in your host country. It is your responsibility to verify the visa requirements of your host country and to obtain a visa if needed.
- Visit the embassy/consulate website for your destination country to find specific visa information.
3 months before departure
Book your travel arrangements: flights, trains, etc.
- STA Travel (206) 633-5000
- STA Travel has a Book Now, Pay Later airfare deposit program to help students better afford the costs of international travel
- Student Universe
Complete online application post-decision requirements
- Read thoroughly with another interested party – like a parent – and sign the program contract. The contract is due back to the study abroad office two weeks after it is uploaded to your online application. Be sure to make a copy for your records.
- Fill out the Health Screening Catalyst Survey
- Attend Pre-Departure Orientations
- General Orientations are facilitated by the UW Study Abroad Office
- Program Specific Orientations are facilitated by your Program Director or Study Abroad Adviser
- Input Passport Information
- Input Study Abroad Insurance Certificate Number
Deadline for post-decision requirements
Autumn Quarter August 1st
Winter Quarter November 15th
Spring Quarter February 15th
Summer Quarter May 1st
Early Fall June 1st
*Failure to complete post-decision requirements by the deadline will result in a late fee charge
Keep track of program payments
- Check your MyUW Account and refer to your payment contract stored in the document section of your online application/account.
2 Months before departure
Financial aid (for UW students only)
- Contact the UW Financial Aid Office to verify that your financial aid awards will apply to your study abroad program.
- You can submit a Revision Request to adjust your financial aid to reflect the cost of studying abroad. The most current revision request can be found at UW Financial Aid.
- A budget detailing your program costs is saved in the documents section of your online application account.
- Set up Direct Deposit if you are expecting to receive a scholarship or financial aid.
- NOTE: Financial aid is disbursed at the beginning of the quarter for which it is awarded, so you may need to plan to cover the costs of pre-departure expenses (such as airfare and insurance) on your own. Financial aid for Exploration Seminars is disbursed at the beginning of UW’s Autumn Quarter.
2 weeks before departure
- Verify through your MyUW Account that you have been enrolled in the foreign study placeholder course (FSTDY 300/303).
- If you are a U.S. Citizen, register your trip with the U.S. State Department
- Photocopy your passports, visas, tickets, and other personal documents, then give copies to someone at home you trust.
- Scan your important documents and email them to yourself.
- Consider setting up a blog so friends and family can experience your time abroad with you.