Program Director Workshops
All program directors are required to attend a mandatory pre-departure workshops. These workshops cover resources and support available at UW to assist you in managing all aspects of your study abroad program.
We aim to provide training relevant to the different phases of planning a faculty-led study abroad program in a series of three sessions. We encourage you to attend these sessions in order, if possible.
All workshops take place in Schmitz Hall, room 450.
Workshop #1: Introduction to running a Faculty-led Program
In this workshop, we introduce you to the resources that will be supporting you throughout the planning process. This workshop is essential for new program directors and a good review for veterans. The presentation will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to online resources
- Recruitment strategies
- Structuring pre-departure orientation
- Budget planning
- Introduction to Global Travel Security Resources
Workshop #2: Next steps for confirmed programs
This workshop provides additional resources for programs that have finished with recruitment and are now confirmed to run. We will introduce important partner units from campus that will assist with student support and management of challenging situations. The presentation will also cover the following topics:
- Student Life support and resources
- Budget finalization and vendor communication
- Emergency preparedness and planning
- Faculty, staff, and student insurance abroad
Workshop #3: Preparing to depart
This workshop will cover the final steps to complete as you prepare to begin your program. The presentation builds on the information provided in the previous two workshops to implement skills learning as we review and discuss several case studies taken from past programs. This workshop is a great opportunity to apply practical knowledge and discuss solutions to challenging situations with other program directors. The presentation will cover the following topics:
- Student health and insurance information
- Program wrap up – grade reporting and evaluations
- Field advance and meal per diem information
- Emergency management and reporting requirements
- Case study discussion
- Workshop #2: Next Steps for Confirmed Programs -Wednesday, February 22nd, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Workshop #3: Preparing to Depart – Monday, March 6th, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Workshop #1: Introduction to Running a Faculty-led Program – Friday, April 7th, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Workshop #2: Next Steps for Confirmed Programs – Thursday, April 20th, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Workshop #3: Preparing to Depart – Friday, May 5th, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Workshop #3: Preparing to Depart – Monday, May 22nd, 2:00pm-4:00pm
Click here to register for these workshops.
Proposing a new program
If you are considering developing a new faculty-led study abroad program, we encourage you to come an information session on proposing a new program. We will cover important policies, vendor selection and timelines. The schedule for spring quarter is listed below. All information sessions will be in Schmitz Hall room 450.
If you are unable to make any of these times, contact us at email@example.com to set up a meeting with a member of our staff.
- Tuesday, April 11th, 1pm – 2pm
- Thursday, April 27th, 11am – 12pm
- Monday, May 8th, 2pm – 3pm
- Friday, June 2nd, 10am – 11am