Study Abroad

Outbound Student Process

Although UW academic departments establish and maintain these exchanges, all UW students participating in departmental exchanges for UW credit must concurrently enroll with UW Study Abroad. Concurrent enrollment maintains student affiliation with UW while away, allows resident UW credit for courses taken abroad, and allows students access to financial aid.  Students must complete several mandatory pre-departure requirements (purchase study abroad insurance, attend orientation, submit payment contract, complete a health survey, etc.) in order to be concurrently enrolled.

Department Nomination

After the student submits an application to the Departmental Exchange Coordinator and is accepted to the program, the Coordinator must complete the Departmental Exchange Roster. Be sure to include the netID information as that is needed to create the online account.

Study Abroad Account Created

Students cannot apply directly through our system, rather our office creates an electronic account for each departmental applicant. Once created, the student will be emailed instructions on how to log into the system and will be given details on next steps.

Material Submissions

In the online system students will also be asked to commit to participate in the exchange, electronically sign documents, register for a mandatory orientation, purchase study abroad insurance, and complete other pre-departure requirements.

Once all the study abroad pre-departure requirements are complete, the student is concurrently enrolled in a placeholder course (FSTDY 300) for their term(s) of study.


To ensure that students complete this process in time to meet concurrent enrollment deadlines and pre-departure requirements, outbound rosters must be received by the following deadlines:

  • For exchanges beginning summer/fall:  March 1st
  • For exchanges beginning winter/spring:  October 1st

Information for Students

Please direct your outbound students to the Students section of our website to help them navigate questions concerning the different phases of their experience.

Program Expenses, Billing, Financial Aid and Scholarships

All UW student exchanges operate using the home tuition model. Outbound UW students pay an exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition (1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges, and 3 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges).  Exchange fees are determined according to residency status:  in-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to in-state tuition, and out-of-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to out-of-state tuition. This fee is billed to students via MyUW according to the regular UW tuition billing schedule together with the Study Abroad Fee. In most cases, students pay housing and any additional fees directly to the host institution or housing facility. Students should be advised early that they need to plan for additional expenses such as international airfare & transportation, books & course materials, visa & passport fees, study abroad insurance and personal expenses.

Students who will be using financial aid to cover expenses will need an official budget from our office. To obtain this, students may request a budget by filling out a Study Abroad Financial Aid Budget Request Form.

For information on Financial Aid and Scholarships, please click here.