Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide > Course Catalog 

Instructor Class Description

Time Schedule:

Thomas A. Reh
H A&S 396
Seattle Campus

Interdisciplinary Special Topics--Natural Science

Special courses drawn from interdisciplinary groups in the natural sciences. Content varies.

Class description

In the past five years there has been a revolution in the science and medicine of "Stem cells." The term "stem cells" means different things to different people, but at the core of the issues are a collection of newly identified cells that may hold promise for repair and regeneration of our organs and tissues. The student will gain a working knowledge of the biology of stem cells, the medical applications, and the legal and public policy issues in this field.

Student learning goals

General method of instruction

There will be two class periods per week. The Tuesday class will be an instructor lecture, and the Thursday class will be a discussion of two to three primary research articles in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine. Students will be expected to read the assigned papers prior to Thursday's class each week.

Recommended preparation

Some knowledge of basic biology and a willingness to participate in discussions.

Class assignments and grading

Students will be required to read several original research articles in the various areas of stem cell biology, medicine and public policy. Students will be expected to write two term papers on topical issues in stem cell biology, medicine, or policy. Occasional short quizzes in class may be given on the assigned papers for the week.

90% of the grade is based primarily on mid-term and final papers. Class participation and quizzes make up the remaining 10%.


The information above is intended to be helpful in choosing courses. Because the instructor may further develop his/her plans for this course, its characteristics are subject to change without notice. In most cases, the official course syllabus will be distributed on the first day of class.
Last Update by Thomas A. Reh
Date: 01/31/2004