Intermediate level. Expansion of ballet vocabulary. Prerequisite: DANCE 203.
This is a combined intermediate/advanced level of ballet. This course focuses on musicality, expressivity, dynamic alignment and incorporation of biomechanical principles. While attendance is a necessary part of class participation, please do NOT come to class if you are ill. When you are in attendance, you will be evaluated on the consistency of your growth, your level of energy and engagement, and how rapidly you integrate corrections into your daily work habits
Student learning goals
1) Understand dance as a cultural practice that reflects and impacts local communities and global cultures.
2) Develop and practice analytic, evaluative, and contextual skills requisite to critical thinking, kinesthetic understanding, and personal growth.
3) Develop and practice skills in rhythmic, movement and compositional analysis
4) Develop effective communication and research skills to promote and articulate a deeper understanding of dance practice and theory.
5) Understand how basic principals of dance science and teaching methodologies can be applied to technical and aesthetic development.
6) Recognize and expand creative, artistic, and intellectual potentials.
General method of instruction
•Please dress neatly and simply – no baggy clothing or excessive jewelry. Long hair should be pulled back and securely fastened
•Short shorts are not allowed
•Use dressing rooms on Lower Level to change into dance clothes.
•Be responsible for all your personal possessions. Bring a padlock and use the lockers provided in the hallway or dressing rooms on the Lower Level. Hallway lockers are for use during class only. (See locker rental policy)
•Please maintain personal hygiene and wear clean dance clothes each class meeting.
Class assignments and grading