Elementary speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in modern Japanese. Prerequisite: either BJAPAN 112 or score of 21-40 on JP 100A placement test. Offered: Sp.
This course aims at the acquisition of the four basic skills (listening, speaking, reading, writing) of modern Japanese. Some aspects of the Japanese culture will be also discussed.
Student learning goals
1. Students will learn to how to state past events, future plans, desires, past experiences.
2. Students will learn to use casual speech style as well as creating conjecture statements
3. Students will learn to quote statements of others including explanatory statements.
4. Students will learn to express health related expressions.
5. Students will learn to make to make comparative statements among two or more things.
6. Students will learn to read and write 59 kanji introduced in the book.
General method of instruction
Audio visual, Video, Power point presentation.
Study Recommendations: 1. Set a time for studying Japanese every day. 2. Read the grammar explanations in the textbook and write down your questions before class. 3. If your questions arenít answered during the grammar introduction in class, ask for further explanation. 4. Make flash cards to memorize vocabulary and Hiragana & Katakana. Write a sample sentence with the newly introduced verb used in it. So you can remember verb groups and the particle used with it, etc. 5. Practice with the audio files as often as possible. 6. Review the materials you learned in class everyday by completing the workbook, listening to the audio files, and memorizing flash cards. 7. Participate in class activities and feel free to make mistakes. 8. If you start to have a problem or difficulty learning new materials, consult with me as soon as possible.
Class assignments and grading
Genki work book Lesson 9-12. Short writing projects.
10% Participation 30% Lesson Tests 15% Homework 20% Quiz 10% Oral Test 15% Final Exam