Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide 

Academic Standing


Low Scholarship

Academic Warning

An undergraduate student whose GPA falls below 2.00 in his or her first quarter at the University receives an academic warning. If a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 for courses earned in residence at the University is not achieved by the end of the next quarter, he or she is placed on academic probation.

Probation and Dismissal for Low Scholarship

An undergraduate student is placed on academic probation at the end of any quarter (except for the first quarter at the University, when an academic warning is issued) in which his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.00. The student remains on probation until the cumulative GPA is raised to at least 2.00. If this requires more than one quarter's work, the student must maintain a quarterly GPA of at least 2.50 each succeeding quarter or the student is dropped for low scholarship.


A student who has been dropped under low-scholarship rules is readmitted to the University only at the discretion of the dean of the school or college to which readmission is sought. A student readmitted after being dropped under these rules re-enters on academic probation. The student's GPA is the same as when dropped from the University, and the student may not use grades from other colleges or universities to raise his or her UW GPA. A readmitted student is dropped if he or she fails to attain either a 2.50 GPA for the following quarter's work or a cumulative UW GPA of 2.00 at the end of that quarter. The student is removed from probation at the end of the quarter in which a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better is reached.

Probation for Senior in Final Quarter

A senior who has completed the required number of credits for graduation, but whose work in what would normally be his or her final quarter places him or her on probation, does not receive a degree until removed from probation. A senior who has completed the required number of credits for graduation, but whose work in his or her last quarter results in his or her being dropped for low scholarship, does not receive a degree until readmitted and removed from probation.

Dean's List

Quarterly Dean's List

The Quarterly Dean's List includes the names of matriculated undergraduate students who have attained a quarterly GPA of 3.50 in the final grades for at least 12 graded credits. Appropriate entries regarding inclusion on the Dean's List are made on the student's permanent academic record.

Annual Dean's List

The Annual Dean's List high-scholarship award is recorded on the academic transcript of students who have achieved a quarterly GPA of 3.50 in 12 or more numerically graded credits each quarter for three quarters of the academic year (summer through spring).

Students enrolled for four quarters of the academic year (summer through spring) must satisfy the conditions outlined above and attain a quarterly GPA of 3.50 or better in the fourth quarter, if enrolled for 10 or more credits.

Students who are on the annual Dean's List receive a certificate.

Baccalaureate Honors

Baccalaureate honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude) are awarded only to recipients of a first baccalaureate degree. These honors are earned by those students who have completed no fewer than 90 residence credits at this institution. At least 60 of the 90 credits must have been acquired on a graded basis.

The University's Honors Committee determines annually the grade-point requirement for each baccalaureate honor. In recent years, approximately ten percent of the students have been awarded baccalaureate honors. Distance Learning courses (those that include a DL prefix) are included in the UW cumulative GPA and therefore count toward baccalaureate honors.

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and President's Medals

Honorary Societies

In addition to the honors discussed above, students with distinguished academic records may participate in several University-wide honorary societies, described below, and specific college or school honorary societies. Information concerning specific college or school honorary societies appears in the respective sections of this catalog.

Additional information on honorary societies may be obtained from academic advisers and the respective campus representatives.