Student Health Insurance
SHIP cancellation policy
Please read carefully: When you purchase the SHIP plan you are entering into a contract with LifeWise Assurance Company for health insurance. The terms of agreement can be found in your Health Insurance booklet and includes provisions for eligibility, membership and cancellation. In regards to cancellation, the contract reads: “There are no refunds to students who cancel coverage unless the insured enters the armed forces or becomes eligible for the Graduate Appointee Insurance Plan (GAIP) policy.”
You may only cancel SHIP under one of the categories listed below. If you wish to cancel SHIP and you do not fall under one of the categories below you may petition the Student Insurance office for cancellation by submitting a petition. Petitions are granted on the basis of University processing error only.
SHIP cancellation categories
- Cancel by the tuition due date (usually the third Friday of the quarter). Requires cancelling through MyUW.
- Withdraw from all classes before the seventh calendar day of the quarter. Requires verification with the Student Health Insurance Office.
- An international student who has been approved under an ISS waiver. Automatically cancelled.
- University processing error. Requires contacting the Student Health Insurance Office.
- GAIP appointment. Automatically cancelled.
- You, your spouse or domestic partner enter military service on full-time active duty. Contact the Student Health Insurance Office.
- Annual enrollment can not be cancelled in subsequent quarters except for a GAIP eligible appointment or entrance in military service.
Also see page 3, “Making Changes” section, in the SHIP booklet.
Please call the Student Insurance Office at 206-543-6202 or email@example.com for more information.