Student Health Insurance


Q: Is the SHIP plan that is offered considered creditable for prescriptions by Medicare?

LifeWise Assurance Company has determined that the prescription drug coverage offered by your health plan is, on average for all plan participants, expected to pay out as much as standard Medicare prescription drug coverage pays and is therefore considered Creditable Coverage. Because your existing coverage is Creditable Coverage, you can keep this coverage and not pay a higher premium (a penalty) if you later decide to join a Medicare drug plan.

For more detailed information, please download: Student Insurance Medicare Creditable Coverage Notice.

Q: If I enroll in annual insurance, what period of time does this include?

The annual plan runs from autumn through summer quarter and provides 4 quarters of coverage (autumn, winter, spring, and summer quarters). The 2013-2014 plan runs from 9/20/13 through 9/19/14.

SHIP is a one-year term policy, underwritten and administered by LifeWise Assurance Company.

Q: If I don’t buy the annual plan in autumn quarter, can I buy it at another quarter?

If the annual plan is not selected during autumn quarter, it can still be purchased in a subsequent quarter, at which point it is pro-rated for the remainder of the academic year: the annual plan purchased at winter quarter is for 3 quarters of coverage (winter, spring and summer quarters); the annual plan purchased at spring quarter is for 2 quarters of coverage (spring and summer quarters).

Note: to be eligible to purchase either the annual plan or the quarterly plan, you must be a registered matriculating student the quarter you’re making the purchase.

Q: How can I purchase summer quarter insurance if I didn’t select annual at an earlier quarter and I’m not a registered student during summer quarter?

You can purchase summer quarter only coverage even if you’re not registered for summer quarter, as long as you were covered under the SHIP plan during spring quarter. Please note that there are higher quarterly premiums for this option: see the 2013-2014 SHIP booklet.

Note: if you had SHIP during spring quarter AND enrolled in SHIP summer quarter during registration, the system will not automatically cancel summer quarter SHIP if you withdraw your summer quarter courses. If you decide that you don’t want summer quarter SHIP, you need to go to MyUW registration screen and change your selection to ‘No Insurance.’

International students, if the above applies to you, you will need to contact our office to cancel the SHIP selection for you otherwise you will be charged for SHIP and a late fee will be added to your account as well.

Q: I am graduating this quarter and I purchased the annual plan —are there any changes in the care I receive when I’m not a registered student but still have SHIP?

For quarters when you’re not a registered student, you will not receive one free visit per quarter at Hall Health Center.

Q: Am I eligible to enroll in UW SHIP?

State-Supported Degree Programs Fee-Based Degree Programs*
The student is formally admitted as a matriculating student by the Graduate or Undergraduate Admissions offices, or the professional schools of Law, Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy and The student is formally admitted as a matriculating student by the University of Washington into a credit, fee-based degree program and
The student is registered as a matriculating student for classes through MyUW or the Office of the Registrar and The student registers through UW Professional and Continuing Education and pays the Services and Activities Fee and
The student remains enrolled in classes through the third Friday of the quarter (tuition due date) in which the student is enrolled for coverage.

*Students are NOT eligible for the UW insurance plan if enrolled in fee-based courses or programs that do not pay the UW services & activities fee (including graduate nonmatriculated program, distance learning, ESL, noncredit classes, conferences & institutes, and the access program).

Q: What happens after I see a medical provider?

If you enrolled with LifeWise Assurance Company (LifeWise), you will receive a form (“Other Coverage Questionnaire Enrollment”) once every policy year, asking if you are insured by any other insurance plans. If you are not, check the box: NO, sign and date the form, and return it to LifeWise.

If you are insured by another plan, you are required to give information asked about the plan. This will allow LifeWise to begin processing your claims. If you do not return this form, you will receive another one in the mail after the first time you use your benefits. You may be mailed additional forms from LifeWise.

Be sure to respond to these mailings as well so that your claims can be processed in a timely fashion. If you do not return the form, your claim will not be processed.

Q: Do I have to pay the doctor on the same day of service, or will the doctor bill the claims office first? How do I file the claim?

When you visit a network provider or a medical provider that is contracted with LifeWise Assurance Company, you will not need to file a claim. Simply present your LifeWise ID card at the time of service and your provider will file the claim for you.

If you visit any other medical provider, you will need to submit the claim yourself by printing a claim form and mailing it to:

LifeWise Assurance Company
P.O. Box 91059
Seattle, WA 98111

Q: Are there network and non-networker providers for dental and vision benefits?

LifeWise offers a list of their dental and vision providers who have contracted with LifeWise so please contact LifeWise at 800-971-1491 for referrals.

You may go to ANY dentist or optometrist anywhere in the world, as long as he/she is a licensed provider. Some providers will not directly bill LifeWise Assurance Company and in these cases you’ll need to submit the claim yourself by printing a claim form and mailing it to:

LifeWise Assurance Company
P.O. Box 91059
Seattle, WA 98111

NOTE: Remember to always take your LifeWise ID card with you.

Q: I have a TA/RA/SA appointment. Where do I get information regarding the graduate appointee insurance plan (GAIP)?

The GAIP insurance plan is administered by the Benefits Office:

4333 Brooklyn Ave NE

You should ask to speak to a GAIP Consultant.

Q: I have a GAIP-eligible appointment, but have already signed up for student insurance. What do I need to do?

You can cancel the student insurance plan on MyUW or in person at the Student Fiscal Services Office prior to the 3rd Friday of the quarter. If it’s past the 3rd Friday of the quarter, you need to contact the Benefits Office (see contact information in earlier paragraph) and ask them to confirm that you do have a GAIP eligible appointment this quarter. When confirmed, the GAIP consultant contacts the Student Insurance Office and asks us to cancel the student insurance. If you’ve already paid for the student insurance, your student account will be credited; if unpaid, the charge will be dropped.

There are some situations when the student insurance plan will automatically be canceled. Much depends on the timing of the TA/RA/SA appointment being entered in the payroll system. If you purchased annual insurance at a prior quarter and then receive a GAIP eligible appointment, you will be credited and receive a check for the remaining quarters in the policy year, minus an administration fee.

Q: I tried to cancel the student insurance but couldn’t. I am an international student. Why can’t I cancel it?

International students are required to enroll in the student insurance plan. If you have extenuating circumstances, you need to contact:

International Student Services
Room 459 Schmitz Hall

If International Students Services finds that you are eligible to have the SHIP requirement waived, they will contact our office and ask that we cancel the current quarter’s UW insurance plan. You may also visit the ISS website and see if you qualify to waive your SHIP requirement.

Q: I need verification that I am enrolled in the student insurance plan. How do I do that?

Please contact LifeWise if the insurance verification is needed for one of these reasons:

  • To verify creditable coverage.
  • Student wants a copy of the verification.
  • Request from an outside program.
  • Student has annual insurance but summer school in home country wants verification of annual plan.
  • To waive spouse’s insurance due to student/spouse coverage under SHIP.
  • Student has annual insurance and is participating in summer program that requires documentation that student has coverage.
  • Prior insurance carrier requested proof that student is currently enrolled in SHIP.

Note: Students and dependents are automatically mailed an insurance verification after they have ended coverage under SHIP. This process can take up to 30 days. If a student/dependent hasn’t received their notification, they can always call LifeWise Customer Service at 800-971-1491 and one of their representatives can mail the student a new verification.

Please contact the SHIP office at the UW for one of these reasons:

  • To avoid double enrollment
  • Is attending community college summer quarter and has to present verification of annual plan to avoid having to purchase insurance at community college
  • Require verification to present to a UW sports team

Q: I am enrolled in the plan and just got married or I am enrolled in the plan and just had a baby. How do I get my spouse or baby added to the plan?

You can contact the Student Insurance Office for the procedures and pro-rata premium. You must enroll your newly acquired Dependent within 30 days of marriage or domestic partner registration, or 60 days of birth or placement for adoption. Please see the 2013-2014 SHIP booklet.

Q: What if I require medical care outside of the local area?

Please contact LifeWise Assurance Company to see if there are any network providers in your area. Their phone number is 1-800-971-1491.


Student Insurance Office

LifeWise Assurance Company

Hall Health Center
315 East Stevens Circle

Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP)
Benefits Office
4333 Brooklyn Avenue NE