Need Immediate Assistance?

  • Call 911 if you need immediate assistance at your location. Be ready to tell the dispatcher: what is happening, where it is happening, and a description of the people involved.
  • Once safe, call Safe Campus at 206-685-SAFE (7233).

My Safety & the Safety of Others

Safety of Myself or Others Infographic: Trust your instinct. If you feel that something is not right, reach out to use for support. 206-685-SAFE (7233).

Keeping you safe is our #1 concern. If you feel worried about potential violence, call us and we will offer support, discuss your options, and help find a creative solution 24/7 at 206-685-SAFE (7223). Trust your intuition. If you feel that something is not right, reach out to us for support.

If someone you know shows signs that they are experiencing, or have been a victim of violence, there are ways you can help:

Validate: First of all, believe them! Don’t immediately question or dismiss their experience.

Listen: Keep questions to a minimum and ask how you can help.

Reassure: Let them know that it’s not their fault.

Connect: Share resources with them, all available on campus.

Consult: Call SafeCampus to determine what you should do next.

If we’re not the right resource for you, we can connect you to UW and community resources that might be a better fit.


Self-care is about taking care of yourself in ways that feel best to you and focusing on your own health and well-being. Our goal for the community is for all to thrive and bring their best to school and work.

But when you’re dealing with an external concern or potentially volatile situation, it’s emotionally taxing, to say the least. You may experience a trauma reaction when you have to focus on basic safety. This is a normal reaction to an abnormal circumstance. It’s important to allow yourself permission to have your reactions, and to take care of them both by yourself and by asking for help. Some ideas to care for yourself:

  • Get adequate sleep
  • Be physically active
  • Take deep breaths
  • Continue activities that bring you joy
  • Journal about what you are feeling or what you experienced
  • Reach out to trusted others to talk about the situation
  • Consider speaking to a professional counselor
  • Reach out to an advocate or support group



SafeCampus is the central reporting office if you are concerned for yourself or a friend. We have trained specialists who will take your call, connect you with resources, and put safety measures in place to reduce the chances of violence occurring. We are available 24/7.

UW Police Department (UWPD)

  • Emergency calls: 911
  • Non-emergency calls: 206-685-UWPD (206-685-8973)

Provides emergency response to violent incidents and direct threats of harm to persons or property. The UWPD also provides Crime Prevention services designed to assist in identifying problems and intervening to prevent violence.

Health and Wellness Student Care Program

Health and Wellness is a starting point for students in distress and in need of multiple levels of support.

UWPD Victim Advocate (available to UW community)

The Victim Advocate works with faculty, staff, and students on a variety of safety concerns, including dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. She provides planning for personal safety and information about resources, protection orders, reporting options, and navigating the criminal justice system.

Health and Wellness Advocate (available to UW students)

The H&W Advocate works with students affected by sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. The H&W Advocate meets with students to offer support and guide them through their rights, options, and resources.

UW Counseling Center (available to UW students)

The UW Counseling Center supports students in all aspects of their development, providing personal and career counseling, study skills assistance, and other services to those currently enrolled. The Center is ready to respond to students in crisis situations. Consultations with faculty, staff, and parents who have concerns about a student are also available.

Hall Health Mental Health Clinic (available to UW community)

Hall Health Mental Health Clinic provides mental health services to students, faculty and staff, including assessments; individual, couple, family and group therapy; medication evaluation and management; and referrals when appropriate to other campus or community resources.

UW Human Resources Consultants (available to faculty and staff)

Your department’s assigned HR Consultant can help you with information about leave eligibility use, planning time away from work for legal reasons etc.

UW CareLink (available to benefits-eligible faculty and staff)

The UW CareLink program offers short-term confidential counseling services for faculty and staff at no cost. Master’s-level counselors are available to take your call, any time day or night.