Skip to main content
UW Rome Center

Passports & visas

Start by reviewing UW Study Abroad passport and visa information.

Passport validity

In order to enter the Schengen area, US passport holders must have a passport that is valid for a minimum of 6 months past the date on which you will EXIT the Schengen area.  See US State Department website for more information.

Holders of non-US passports might have different requirements.  It is your responsibility to verify your passport validity requirements before traveling.

Study visas

Students from countries with short-term visa exemption may enter Italy for academic purposes without a study visa for periods of up to 90 days. Citizens of the U.S., Canada and European Union countries are included in this short-term visa exemption. Please note that the 90 day period includes any travel before or after the study program within the entire Schengen area. Students who stay in the Schengen area beyond 90 days will be in violation of the 90-day visa waiver and risk being fined and/or detained and even banned from travel in the Schengen area for significant periods of time.

Program participants from other countries should consult the Italian Consulate website to check if they need a visa in order to study in Italy. If a visa is required, students should contact the UW Study Abroad for assistance with the application.

Students requiring visas and participating on programs lasting less than 90 days must get a Short Stay or “C” type visa.  When you receive your visa, please verify that it is the correct type. If you have been issued a Long Stay or “D” type visa, please contact the UW Rome Center IMMEDIATELY.   A Long Stay “D” visa entails a series of legal obligations upon arrival in Italy in order to convert the visa into a stay permit; the Rome Center can assist but only if informed well in advance of your arrival in Italy.

Have questions? Please contact UW Study Abroad.