UW Undergraduate Research Program

<<< URP Home

Students in Research
See more URP photos!

URP Advising

Creative Commons License
The Undergraduate Research Program website, created by the Undergraduate Research Program at the University of Washington, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license are available at exp.washington.edu/urp/about/rights.html

Information For Students

Getting Academic Credit

The Undergraduate Research Program does not issue credit for undergraduate research.

The best way to obtain credit for your involvement in research is to ask your department. Most often, this is offered in the form of a 499 course (e.g., Psych 499 , Bioen 499 , and CHID 499 ) and can be applied toward requirements for your major. Additionally, if you are involved in research with another department, ask if you can earn credit through that department.

Alternatively, if you are not yet in a major, you may earn credit through General Studies 391 . In most cases, you work with your faculty mentor to identify an academic project and can earn 1 credit for every 30 hours of research completed per quarter, pending your faculty mentor's approval. More information about this option is available from Jim Scott in Undergraduate Academic Affairs Advising at jimscott@uw.edu .