1914

Carl F. Gould, Architect


Table of Contents Previous Next

Prominent Seattle architect and founder of the UW architecture department, Carl Freylinghausen Gould (1873-1939) was the key figure in the creation of the Regents Plan of 1915 that has shaped the UW campus ever since.

Gould designed many of the major campus buildings, including the Suzzallo Library, Anderson Hall, the Penthouse Theater (see The Legacy of Drama Professor Glenn Hughes), and the Henry Art Gallery (see The Henry Art Gallery). In all, some 46 buildings or additions on the UW campus were designed by Gould.

Moreover, Gould and his partner Charles Herbert Bebb designed many buildings throughout the Puget Sound area that today are recognized as dominant landmarks. Among their best known works are the Administration Building at the Hiram S. Chittenden Locks in the Ballard area of Seattle; the Times Square Building, a wedge-shaped edifice in downtown Seattle done in a Renaissance Revival style and faced in white terra cotta; the Seattle Art Museum in Volunteer Park, which achieved national recognition with a design award from the Architectural League of New York in 1935.footnote 1

Gould was born in New York and studied at Harvard and for five years in Paris at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He arrived in Seattle in 1908 to take his place as one of a handful of local architects with rigorous professional training.

In 1914 he became associated with Bebb and designed a series of houses. During that time he also began lecturing at the UW and founded the precursor of the present-day College of Architecture and Urban Planning. Gould served as head of the UW architecture department from 1915 to 1926.

In the decade after they teamed up, Gould and Bebb designed over two hundred projects, including commercial buildings, homes, schools, churches, hospitals and monuments. As Bebb's involvement diminished in the late 1920s, Gould continued his design work. Among the projects he completed were five local telephone company offices (Longview, Yakima, Bremerton, Centralia, and Tacoma), the Longview Post Office, and the Everett Public Library.footnote 1


  1. "Bebb and Gould," T. William Booth and William H. Wilson, in Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects, Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., UW Press, Seattle, 1994.

Table of Contents Previous Next