GIM 13 Supplement: Types of Institutional Activity
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Office of Research
Office of Sponsored Programs
GRANTS INFORMATION MEMORANDUM 13
November 17, 2011
The major functions of an institution, as defined in Circular A-21, include instruction, organized research, other sponsored activities and other institutional activities. These are defined as follows:
- Organized research
- includes all research and development activities of the University that are separately budgeted and accounted for on a specific project basis and research cost sharing.
- includes teaching and training activities and sponsored non-research training activities research.
- Other Sponsored Activities
- are programs and projects financed by federal and non-federal agencies and organizations that involve the performance of work other than instruction and organized research.
- Other Institutional Activities
- means all activities of an institution except those listed above, Facilities & Administrative (F&A) cost activities, and specialized service facilities.
If organized research has a component of instruction or other sponsored activity, the rate for organized research shall be applied to the entire project.
Questions on how to characterize sponsored activity? Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs, (206) 543-4043 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions on how activities are allocated to facilities and space? Contact Management Accounting and Analysis.