GIM 13 Supplement: Locations of Activity
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Office of Research
Office of Sponsored Programs
GRANTS INFORMATION MEMORANDUM 13
November 17, 2011
Sponsored projects fund organized research, instructional activity and other sponsored activity. In addition, the projects can take place in a variety of locations. The University of Washington has negotiated separate F&A rates for several locations. These rates should be used for projects that occur in these specific locations.
To determine whether the off-campus F&A rate applies, follow these steps:
- Determine if the project occurs in leased space. If so, determine whether the sponsor will directly pay for the rental cost of the facility. If the answer is "yes", the project is considered off-campus and the off-campus rate is used, regardless of the nature or location of the scope of work/project. If departmental funds are used to pay for rent, the on-campus rate is used.
- Determine if any part of the project will be carried out away from the University over an uninterrupted period of time in excess of 30 days. Examples include field work at a research site, participation in delivery of health services at an international clinic, or a project carried out in facilities provided at no cost by a non-University organization. In all cases, the period of time away from the University must exceed 30 days, without travel back and forth. This portion of the project is considered off-campus. See Activity at Two or More Locations guidance for more information.
To determine the F&A rate to use for projects or portion of projects in which the off-campus F&A rate does not apply, follow these steps:
- Determine the nature of the work to be done (Organized Research, Instruction, or Other Sponsored Activity). For more information on the nature of the work, see Types of Institutional Activity.
- Instruction activity uses an F&A rate of 53% and Other Sponsored Activity uses an F&A rate of 33.8%.
- For Organized Research projects, the location of the project and administrative home determines the F&A rate to use.
If Organized Research has a component of Instruction or Other Sponsored Activity, the rate for Organized Research shall be applied to the entire project.
- On-campus includes all organized research located at the Seattle, Bothell, and Tacoma campuses, Harborview Medical Center, and Friday Harbor Labs. The on-campus organized research rate should be used.
- South Lake Union includes research located at the Rosen, Brotman, SLU II A, B, and C buildings, and 1616 Eastlake. The South Lake Union organized research rate should be used.
- If the administrative unit responsible for a project is the Applied Physics Lab, Regional Primate Center, or Research Vessels, those respective rates should be used for that research, irrespective of the actual location of the research.
If the project will take place at two or more locations, a split rate may be used in some cases. Please review Activity at Two or More Locations for more guidance.
Questions on space inventory and use? Contact Management Accounting and Analysis.
Questions on use of on-campus versus off-campus F&A rates? Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs, (206) 543-4043 or email@example.com.