Matching Funds Request
The Provost’s Office is committed to fostering the development of exciting UW collaborative research programs, especially those that are multidisciplinary, such as Centers, Institutes and Consortia. In collaboration with Departments and Schools/Colleges, the University endeavors to provide the institutional support that is often necessary or even required, to successfully compete for funds for multidisciplinary, multi-investigator, research programs. Although the Provost would like to be able to support every request for institutional support, the resources available are of course limited, and thus it is necessary to establish guidelines that will help to ensure that these scarce resources are allocated in a fair, transparent and productive manner.
The following guidelines are intended to assist investigators in making requests for institutional support for large multidisciplinary grant applications.
- All Principal Investigators (P.I.s) and their respective Dean’s or Chair’s office making a Matching Funds Request.
- Vice Provost for Research and the Office of Research administrative staff
Typically, matching funds in the form of direct financial contributions and/or salary cost-sharing are provided only in clear instances where it is required by a funding agency, or necessary to be competitively successful. The department Chair can assist with determining whether a proposal meets the requirements for receiving cost-share funding.
- Requests should be for items that contribute to infrastructure (equipment, core expertise). Salary and expendables may be supported if they are clearly essential to support the administrative infrastructure for the funded work, but are not allowable within the costing rules of the funding program. Salary requests must also include the cost of the associated benefits.
- Matching funds requests to the Provost’s Office should illustrate how the proposed program addresses the following criteria:
- Is high-impact, potentially transformational to a field or discipline at the national or international level
- Crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries (usually involves multiple schools/colleges) with broad impact at UW
- Is potentially transforming to a critical area at UW
- Seeds a new effort with strong potential to excel at UW
- Integrates research and education (facilitates classroom instruction, graduate research training, and/or community outreach)
- Creates new opportunities (likelihood of fostering additional research opportunities and funding)
- General guidelines for funding match requests from the Provost’s Research Initiative Fund in the Office of Research require that 2/3 of the overall match be funded by the departments and/or College or School of the PI and participating faculty. Proposals involving key investigators from several departments generally require match from each department and college represented.
- Proposals without department or college support will not be considered.
- Generally, the total level of institutional support (Department, School/College, and Provost’s Office) requested should be commensurate with the size of the grant, and, is normally only provided for grants or contracts that pay the full indirect cost rate.
- The Vice Provost for Research is responsible for approving matching funds requests and issuing a formal commitment letter.
- The P.I.(s) and Chair’s office is responsible for completing the Provost Research Initiative Matching Funds Request form and routing it for electronic approvals.
- The Dean’s office is responsible for approving the Provost Research Initiative Matching Funds Request form and forwarding the completed forms to ORfunds@uw.edu. The Dean’s office is also responsible for requesting exceptions and/or extensions as needed.
- The School/College Administrator is responsible for claiming the funds by sending an email to ORfunds@uw.edu
- The Office of Research is responsible for completing the transfer of money upon receiving an email from a School/College Administrator requesting the funds.
Requesting the funds:
- P.I. discusses matching request, rationale, and overall strategy with Department Chair(s), and secure Departmental commitment(s). Typically, requests are for direct cost allocations such as equipment, supplies or salary off-set (cost-sharing). Commitments for space or access to specialized facilities will normally be dealt with at the Department and/or School/College level.
- Department Chair works with Dean’s office to develop the final match request. If multiple Dean’s Offices are involved, the PI’s Dean’s Office takes the lead to coordinate the request. In most cases, an Associate Dean, Divisional Dean, or Vice Dean has already been designated as the contact person in each Dean’s Office.The Vice Provost for Research is responsible for approving matching funds requests and issuing a formal commitment letter.
- Dean’s office makes a formal match request by completing (or having the PI/administrative staff complete) the Provost Research Initiative Matching Funds Request form. The Dean’s office then emails the completed form to ORfunds@uw.edu. Requests must be made through a Dean’s office. Requests coming directly from the department or PI will not be considered. In the case of interdisciplinary proposals/requests, the PI’s Dean’s office will obtain the necessary electronic approvals from each unit and include those approvals in the email that is sent to ORfunds@uw.edu.
- Requests should be made well in advance (e.g., at least 6-8 weeks) of the Agency funding deadline so that the grant budgets can accurately reflect the agreed-upon level of institutional support.
- The Office of Research will document approvals through a commitment letter signed by the Vice Provost for Research. This letter provides the details of the match commitment, as well as an official reference number to be used by the Dean’s office when claiming the funds. An electronic copy signed by the Vice Provost for Research will be mailed to the School/College Dean. An e-mail with all relevant documents will be sent to School/College Dean, P.I.(s), and the Department Administrator. This will serves as the formal notification from the Provost Research Initiative Award to all concerned.
- The PI (or PI’s staff) indicates matching support from the Office of Research (org code 2160102000) on the eGC1 and attaches the Commitment Letter to the “Attached Documents” section of the eGC1.
- Receipt of the matching request is contingent upon receipt of the grant award, and may be ‘pro-rated’ to the size of the sponsored project if it the sponsored project is less than initially requested.
Claiming the Funds:
- When/if the sponsored project is awarded the PI should ask their Dean’s Office to claim the Matching Funds.
- The Deans’s Office will send an email to ORfunds@uw.edu with the following information:
- Copy of the commitment letter from the Vice Provost office.
- Budget name and budget number of a Royalty Income budget that will receive the funds (Budget type class 05-57, prefix 65-xxxx), if available.
- If the department does not have a Royalty Income budget, the Office of Research will set up a sub-budget to deposit the funds using the TPU process.
- If there is an existing Royalty Income budget, the Office of Research will transfer the funds using the journal voucher (JV) process.
About This Policy
Content Creator: Office of Research, Director of Operations
Effective Date: 06/30/2009
- Rev 5: 04/5/2012, form revised
- Rev 4: 11/03/2011, policy revised
- Rev 3: 11/22/2010, Policy and Form Revised
- Rev 2: 07/08/2009, Form Revised
- Rev 1: 10/30/2008, New Document