Budget Extension Process
A budget extension (aka no-cost extension) gives a Principal Investigator (PI) additional time on a project budget number without additional funding. It can be requested mid-project or towards the end of the project.
All extensions (including those already approved by the sponsor) require compliance review and approval by OSP.
Submit your end of project extension requests 45 business days before the budget end date.
Step 1: Request Compliance Review and Approval from OSP
Use the Budget Extension Tool to request an extension, even if the sponsor has already approved the extension.
Information you need:
- eGC1 number, PI name, sponsor name, sponsor type, and current budget end date
- Budget balance or deficit
- Programmatic/scientific justification for extension
Make sure all investigators have provided their Significant Financial Interest (SFI) disclosure status in the Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS).
If it applies:
- Submit cost share addendums for new or reduced cost share commitments during the extension period.
- Current HSD/IRB Protocol Numbers and approval dates.
- Current IACUC/Animal protocol number and approval dates.
- If you want to extend your budget ahead of getting official sponsor approval, you will need a non-sponsored budget number available.
Step 2: Requesting an Extension from the Sponsor
In addition to the using the Budget Extension request tool, we must notify or request an extension from the sponsor.
Select Sponsor System Instructions
|NSF||Research.gov||Submit notification or request|
|NOAA||Grants Online||Submit notification or request|
|NASA||Shared Services Center||Submit notification or request and get sponsor confirmation.|
|HRSA||E-Handbook||Submit letter (signed by OSP) within system.|
|USGS||Submit letter (signed by OSP) within system.|
If the sponsor does not use a system:
- review sponsor guidelines
- prepare a request to the sponsor (concurrence letter) on department letterhead,
- include a signature block for OSP,
- email it, along with any supporting documentation, to email@example.com and,
- include the eGC1 #, PI name, and description of the request in the subject line.
OSP assigns a Post Award Change (PAC) number in SAGE to your request. Use that number to track your request.
Frequently Asked Budget Extension Questions
How does the budget extension process work?
Approval is based on sponsoring agency guidelines and on the reasonableness of the justification for the use of the unspent account balance.
Upon approving a request, the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) notifies the sponsor and authorizes Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA) to extend the budget.
If the no cost extension request cannot be approved under sponsor guidelines, the OSP Reviewer will countersign the request and forward it to the agency for their review and approval.
If the agency approves the request, OSP will authorize GCA to extend the budget.
I want to submit a request to my sponsor to extend the end date of my project. I probably won’t get formal sponsor approval in place before the end date. What can I do?
You can request a temporary budget extension. The PI must provide a non-sponsored project budget number in the Budget Extension Request Tool.
GCA can’t invoice sponsors for expenses after the current approved end date of the project.
If the sponsor does not approve the extension request then the PI will need to cover the expenses incurred after the current approved end date.