Office of Research
Melanoma Research Grant 2014
Since 2004 The Harry J. Lloyd Charitable Trust granted 94 melanoma research grants totaling $9,818,289. Grant recipients are located throughout the world and include Argentina, Australia, Germany, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, and The United States of America.
Per the Trust:
- Not more than one application per institution in each of the three grant categories will be funded. Applications received after December 10, 2013 will not be considered.
- A team of research experts led by Dr. Michael Meyers will review the proposals and make recommendations to the trust. Awards will be announced during the month of May 2014. Special consideration will be given in two areas: 1) emerging novel concepts that constitute significant innovation and 2) new investigators in the field of melanoma.
- Applications will be accepted for a broad range of melanoma research projects involving basic science, clinical trials, etc.
- Applications from non-profit organizations under the U. S. Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c) (3) are eligible for consideration. If a grant recipient is a foreign entity not under the U. S. Internal Revenue Code, an Affidavit related to non-profit status must be completed prior to payment of grant funds. The Affidavit is available on request.
- The funding is considered a research grant, and The Harry J. Lloyd Charitable Trust funds cannot be applied to institutional overhead, indirect costs, or other organizational levies.
- Applications should be in narrative form and can be no longer than five typewritten pages in length. Additional supportive attachments are acceptable, but they must be pertinent.
A. An investigator form is required for each named investigator.
B. Biographical sketches (NIH format or short form) are required for all research personnel.
C. Include a justified budget for the proposed project.
D. Please submit your proposal and all attachments online using this site.
E. Fill out the appropriate award application sheet.
- Because the Lloyd Trust board of trustees believes that all of life is infused with great value, the following ethical guidelines apply to all grants.
A. Recipients will use animals in research only when non-animal options are not available and when the use of animals helps answer significant scientific questions. Recipients will make every effort to minimize distress and pain experienced by the animals.
B. Recipients will not use embryonic or fetal cell culture tissues systems in any research funded by the Lloyd Trust.
C. The use of transgenic animal models in which human genes are inserted into the germ line requires advanced approval by the trust.
- Copies of the Conditions of Grant agreement are available upon request.
- Grant recipients will be asked to submit a brief written report at the end of the funding period.
Please submit a two-page letter of intent with a list of all anticipated investigators, description of proposed aims and approach, Biosketch of the PI, and a letter of support from the Dean or Chair to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM Thursday, November 7, 2013. This letter of support signifies that the Dean or Chair have ensured that the nominee and application are likely to be of sufficient quality to be competitive nationally. Full proposals are due to the sponsor on 12/10/13, so you will need to have your materials in to the Office of Sponsored Programs by 12/3/13 for processing, if given the go ahead by the Proposal Review Committee.
Inquiries and Contact Information
Investigators who identify a grant, award or fellowship program that restricts the number of applications that can be submitted from an Institution should immediately contact their Chairperson, Associate Dean for Research (or Dean, if no ADR) and the Office of Research (see below) if they intend to prepare a response. Failure to do so, or to meet the deadlines for submission of pre-proposal, will preclude submission of the application through the Office of Sponsored Programs.
For general inquiries, or to request a listing of a limited submission opportunity that should be but is not already listed, please email us at email@example.com.