The Beckman Young Investigator (BYI) Program is intended to provide research support to the most promising young faculty members in the early stages of academic careers in the chemical and life sciences particularly to foster the invention of methods, instruments and materials that will open up new avenues of research in science.
- Projects should show promise for contributing to significant advances in the research fields of interest to the Foundation. They should represent innovative departures in research rather than extensions or expansions of existing programs. Proposed research that cuts across traditional boundaries of scientific disciplines is encouraged. Proposals that open up new avenues of research in chemistry and the life sciences by fostering the invention of methods, instruments and materials will be given additional consideration.
- The BYI program is intended to provide funding to individuals with minimal or no external or internal funding from parent or other organizations. Proposals that have substantial funding will not be considered for the BYI award.
- Projects are normally funded for a period of up to four years. Grants may be in the range of $750,000 over the term of the project, contingent upon demonstrated progress following the first two years of the award.
- The Foundation does not provide for overhead or for indirect costs.
- The BYI program is open to persons with tenure-track appointments in academic and non-profit institutions that conduct fundamental research in the chemical and life sciences. No more than one candidate from any one institution, or its affiliates, will be selected for the BYI award in any particular funding cycle.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States at the time of application. Persons who have applied for permanent residency but have not received their government documentation by the time of application are not eligible.
- To be eligible, an applicant should not have completed more than three full years in his or her tenure-track or other comparable independent research appointment. Regardless of eligibility under this rule, no individual may apply for a Beckman Young Investigator award more than three times.
As there is no institutional limit for this program, no internal review is necessary. Historically there were institutional limitations, and so we are putting out this announcement as a courtesy only.