Energy Research Area: Resource assessment and environmental impact assessment for tidal in-stream energy extraction in estuaries such as Puget Sound.
Using physical oceanographic knowledge and numerical simulation models of estuarine circulation, I evaluate how much tidal energy can be extracted from an estuary before the character of the estuary is significantly affected, and what kind of effects will be felt in the estuary environment and ecosystem.
Maximum tidal current speed in Puget Sound, San Juan Islands and the eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca from the NNMREC three-dimensional model of tidal currents in the Washington inshore waters
Campus and Other Collaborators/Partners
- Alberto Aliseda, Mechanical Engineering
- Brian Fabien, Mechanical Engineering
- Brian Polagye, Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, UW
- Jim Riley, Mechanical Engineering
- Jim Thomson, Applied Physics Lab
- Kristen Thyng, Mechanical Engineering
- Mark Tuttle, Mechanical Engineering
- Philip Malte, Mechanical Engineering
Record last updated on November 29th 2011 PDT.