Office of Research
Institute of Advanced Materials & Technology (i-AMT)
The i-AMT aims provide leadership in the Northwest region to foster excellence in materials research by facilitating the work of researchers so as to achieve sustainable solutions to major problems facing society. The Institute focuses on selected research areas including photonics, electronics, and magnetic materials; materials for energy generation and storage; biomaterials for the bio-nano interface; and multifunctional composites. The mission includes the following:
1. To work at the intellectual frontiers, and to achieve excellence, in materials research.
2. To create synergy between researchers working in all areas of materials research on campus.
3. To enhance UW materials research through better integration of fundamental research and technology transfer.
4. To nurture entrepreneurial aspirations of researchers and encourage them to be imaginative in translating discoveries into products for the marketplace.
5. To serve as a broker between the academic and business community to translate research discoveries into practical commercial products.
6. To establish a shared core instrumentation and service facility that propels UW materials science and technology transfer to a recognized leadership position.
Related UW Entities:
College of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics,
College of Arts & Science, Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics, Department of Applied Math,
School of Medicine, Department of Radiology