- Academic Departments
- Colleges and Schools
- Community Photos
- Educational Excellence
- Husky Sports
- Research at the UW
- UW Today News
- Vision & Values
- Visit the UW
- Spotlight on Sustainability
- Spotlight on Healthy Lives
- Spotlight on Global Citizens
- Spotlight on Innovation
Upon graduation from the University of Washington, Herb Simon joined the family recycling business, Joseph Simon & Sons, and was Secretary/Treasurer until August of 1985. His emphasis was creating international trade with Japan, Taiwan and Korea. During his time in the recycling industry, he was the West Coast Legislative Chairman for National Association of Recycling and the Legislative Chairman for the Institute of Iron & Steel.
Upon selling his interest in Joseph Simon and Sons he began his career of acquiring and building office and commercial buildings resulting in the formation of Simon Johnson, LLC with partner, Ted Johnson.
Aside from serving on the Board of Regents and the Board of Puget Sound Energy, Herb Simon has served on several civic and non-profit boards, including Pierce County Economic Development, Executive Council for a Greater Tacoma, Washington State Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Franciscan Foundation.
- Appointed by Governor Christine Gregoire from October 25, 2005 to September 30, 2011
- Confirmed by the Senate on March 7, 2006
- Reappointed by Governor Christine Gregoire from October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2017
- Confirmed by the Senate on February 27, 2012