University of Washington President Michael K. Young has selected Chuck Sloane to be university ombud, starting this July .
“Chuck Sloane has the skill and passion for helping individuals solve problems and resolve disputes within large organizations,” said Young. “He will be an important resource for faculty, staff and students who are involved in conflicts.”
Sloane has been a deputy ombudsman for King County since 2008. He has worked with more than 3,000 county residents to prevent conflicts, resolve problems and promote public confidence in county government. He also worked on alternative dispute resolution projects at Snohomish County and Multnomah County, Ore.
Sloane has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the UW and a master’s degree in clinical psychology from Portland University. He also earned a certificate in alternative dispute resolution from the UW Law School.
Sloane also has worked as a volunteer foreclosure mediator for the Washington State Department of Commerce, to resolve home ownership disputes and to assist both parties in finding equitable solutions.
An Advisory Search Committee was appointed February 28, 2013, to identify and recommend candidates for the office of University Ombud.
Search Advisory Committee
- Shannon Bailie, Director, Health & Wellness, Office of Student Life
- Kate Callison, ASUW Director of Policy and Procedures
- Brian Fabien, Professor, Mechanical Engineering (Faculty Senate designee)
- Cynthia Fugate, Senior Associate Dean of Libraries
- Jessie Garcia, Assistant Vice President of Campus HR Operations
- Judy Howard, Divisional Dean of Social Sciences, College of Arts & Sciences
- Jack Johnson, Office of President
- Marcia Killien, Secretary of the Faculty
- Shelley Kostrinsky, Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Personnel
- Jill Lee, Manager, University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office
- Amanda Paye, Title IX/ADA Coordinator
- Jill Purdy, Associate Professor, Milgard School of Business, UW Tacoma
- Alan Wood, Professor, Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, UW Bothell