Skip to content

Responding to community concerns about policing on campus

As our nation once more grapples with the epidemic of police violence against Black people and systemic racism more broadly, many faculty, students, staff and other community members have expressed concerns about policing on the Seattle campus, including about the UW Police Department’s relationship with the Seattle Police Department.

An unprecedented year reminds us that higher education can lead meaningful, lasting change

This weekend we celebrated a commencement like no other. It was the first of two ceremonies for the Class of 2020 — and I know we all look forward to celebrating next year in person — but our broadcast to thousands of graduates across the region and around the world was nonetheless steeped in an especially poignant blend of meaning and joy.

Students together in spirit, a message from our student leaders

Resources

Spring quarter student FAQ

Emergency Aid

Counseling and wellness

Seattle campus  

UW Bothell

UW Tacoma

Undergraduate academic advising

Seattle campus

UW Bothell

UW Tacoma

As we start a spring quarter unlike any other, I want to give the virtual floor to the ASUW and GPSS leaders who represent our students across our campuses. I am so grateful for their leadership over the past month, and I thank all students for the strength, goodwill and flexibility they continue to demonstrate as we move, together, into a fully remote learning environment. I’d also like to thank our faculty and staff, who have been working tirelessly to ensure that we have a successful spring quarter.

We’re all in this together. Stay safe, and best wishes for a great quarter.

Update on the UW’s preparations related to the novel coronavirus

Today public health officials announced that the first death in the United States attributed to the novel coronavirus has occurred in King County. I write today to ensure you are aware of how the University is working with public health officials to be as prepared as possible to protect the health of the UW community.