Parent and Family Programs

The UW iStudent Experience: A message from President Young

Dear UW Parents and Families,President Michael Young with UW students

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many Husky parents and families during recent events on our campuses and abroad. As 2014 unfolds, I hope to meet even more of you. Wherever my travels take me, I find that all parents want the same thing for their sons and daughters — a happy, productive life where they can make a meaningful difference for themselves, their families their communities and the world. As a parent myself, I understand the hope, pride and little bit of worry that goes hand in hand with watching your students pursue their dreams. With that in mind, I want to highlight some of the many ways we are preparing your Husky for success.

In addition to teaching in the classroom, the UW is helping students become critical thinkers, develop career strategies and leadership skills, and understand how we all can make the world a better place as global citizens. As our geographic borders become less distinct and a global mindset all the more important, all UW students are international students, or “iStudents,” as I call them. No matter where they were born or whether they participate in one of our numerous study abroad programs, today’s Huskies have a unique opportunity to learn in an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world.

To foster our global learning environment, we have recruited one of the world’s leading higher-education administrators, Jeffrey Riedinger, to become our new vice provost for global affairs. Jeff and I invite you to learn more about our vision for iStudents from my convocation speech last fall. I suspect that once you have a better idea of what it means for your student to be a global citizen at the UW, you’ll understand that all of us—students, parents, faculty, staff, etc.—are iStudents. We are all global citizens.

I encourage you to explore information on our website to learn more about your student’s UW experience. Quarters pass by quickly here, so make sure to check in with your sons and daughters about the classes they’re taking and the friends they are making. Parents and families have a very important role in ensuring the success of our students. Thank you for being engaged in your student’s education and for being a proud Husky parent.

All the best in 2014!

Michael K. Young