Student Blog Update: Getting to Know Australian Blogger Lunden Harris

UW student Lunden Harris is preparing to depart for Brisbane, Australia with the OMA&D-affiliated exploration seminar studying the design of engineering materials and structures at the Queensland University of Technology. During the group’s time “down under,” Lunden will be sharing regular blog updates along with classmate Cara Mischinski.

By Lunden Harris

Hi! My name is Lunden Harris and I will be one of two study abroad bloggers keeping you updated on our adventure down under! My 2018 UW STEM Study Abroad group will be studying at Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. This is all thanks to Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D), UW College of Engineering, and Queensland University of Technology so if you see them around give them a nice high-five. However, before we arrive in Australia and get our blog on you should know a few things about me!

Lunden Harris with pink hair
I often put my hair in braids to help it grow! These were my fun pink braids

The first thing you should know about me is that I am biracial (White and African American) girl from Louisville, Kentucky. Not LOUEE-ville or Lewis-ville but Lulhvul. It’s hard to pronounce, but that’s how I know if you’re from Louisville or not. Yes, I know the first thing you thought about was KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) when I said Kentucky, but, ironically, I’m a vegetarian. Like Cara, I ALWAYS rep my Southern pride when I’m in Seattle. I am the biggest Kentucky fan when I’m here but Seattle has my heart too. I love the outdoors so much. That’s what pulled me toward the PNW. The lush trees, clear waters, and beautiful mountains for hiking. It’s nice to have nature at my backdoor. This is why I’m excited for Australia. It is going to be a whole new climate! I hope I survive the man-eating bugs (just kidding!) I’ll let you know more about Australia’s exotic insects and animals once I actually get there.

Lunden and Cara
The two bloggers Lunden and Cara

Although Australia will be a nice break from Seattle, I am still there for our amazing program. The reason I became interested in this program was because it is a STEM and diversity program. I am interested in pursuing Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE). I love working in computer interaction. It is important to me that everyone has access to computers and they are built in a way to improve each individuals experience.

Lunden Harris at UW WiSE conference
Helping support WiSE at a regional conference at UW

That is why I am so passionate about HCDE. Other UW programs I have been involved with have been NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers), OMA&D, LSAMP, and WiSE. I joined WiSE last summer through the WiSE Up Bridge program with the 2017 cohort. That’s where I met my really good friends including the other blogger Cara. I am so lucky to be apart of WiSE and OMA&D because they have given me this amazing opportunity to study HCDE in a hands on, real world situation through Queensland University! I can’t wait to share my experience with you every week.

I am excited to bring you all with me on my adventure through Australia. Not only will I be writing about what the program is like I will also share my unique journey through Australian culture, climate, and cuisine. The next month will hopefully be fun for the both us!

Back to other blog posts here.