Sixteen UW faculty members are among the 24 new members elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences in recognition of their distinguished and continuing scientific achievements. The Washington State Academy of Sciences provides expert scientific and engineering analysis to inform public policy-making, and works to increase the role and visibility of science in the State of Washington.
The UW faculty members elected are:
- P. Dee Boersma, Wadsworth endowed chair of conservation science and professor of biology
- David Eaton, associate vice provost in the office of research and professor of environmental and occupational health sciences
- Lee Huntsman, president emeritus and executive director of the Life Sciences Discovery Fund
- Alex K-Y Jen, Boeing/Johnson chair and professor of materials science & engineering
- Shaoyi Jiang, Boeing-Roundhill professor of chemical engineering and adjunct professor of bioengineering
- Sarah Keller, associate dean for research activities in the College of Arts & Sciences and professor of chemistry
- Mary Lidstrom, vice provost for research, Frank Jungers chair of engineering and professor of chemical engineering and microbiology
- Peter May, Donald R. Matthews distinguished professor of American politics, and chair of political science
- Randall Moon, William and Marilyn Conner professor and founding director, Institue of Stem Cen & Regenerative Medicine
- Kenneth Stuart, director and president, Seattle Biomedical Research Institute and affiliate professor of global health
- Stewart Tolnay, Frank Miyamoto professor of sociology
- Usha Varanasi, director of Northwest Fisheries Science Center and adjunct professor of aquatic and fishery sciences and chemistry
- Peter Ward, professor of Earth and space sciences
Individuals elected to the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering or the Institute of Medicine are automatically part of the Washington State Academy of Sciences. Those elected this year include:
- Daniel Gottschling, cell biologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, NAS
- Donald Grayson, professor of anthropology, NAS
- Henry Levy, chairman and Wissner-Slivka chair of computer science & engineering, NAE
The new members will be inducted into the academy at the fourth annual meeting at the Museum of Flight in Seattle on Sept. 22. Those elected bring the total number of active members to 154.
Additional information about the academy and its members is available online.