Commuter Services and U-PASS are sponsoring events throughout May to celebrate UW cyclists the annual Bike to Campus Month the department sponsors.
There will be a “Trail Party” from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, May 12, off the Burke-Gilman Trail between University Way and Brooklyn Avenue. The event will feature live games, music and giveaways. You can also register your bike with the UW Police, get your bike inspected and more. Hall Health representatives will sell safety equipment and the Cascade Bicycle Club will be on hand to show folks the best rides in town.
Or, you could take a bike-related class or two. U-PASS is partnering with Cascade Bicycle Club to offer a series of classes to help you sharpen your skills and learn everything you always wanted to know about bicycles.
Find a full schedule of Bike to Campus Month events and classes online.
Heres a rundown of classes being offered, all of which you can register for at the Commuter Services website.
- How to Buy a Bike, Monday, May 2, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., 110 Gould.
- Learn 2 Ride, Monday May 9, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., lawn between the William H. Foege building and Hitchcock Hall.
- UW Trail Party, Thursday, May 12, 4 to 7 p.m., just off the Burke Gilman Trail between University Way and Brooklyn Avenue.
- Biking Rules! Basic Traffic Principles for Safe and Enjoyable Cycling, Monday, May 16, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., T663 Health Sciences Center.
- Bike to Work Day, Monday, May 20, 6 to 9 a.m., Burke Gilman Trail at Rainier Vista.
- Bicycle Equations Solved! Solutions to Tricky Problems, Monday, May 23, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., 110 Gould.
- The Basics of Bike Touring and Camping, Wednesday, May 25, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., 142 Gerberding.
Group Health Cooperative is holding a Commute Challenge, where teams of four to 10 people compete to see who has the most miles ridden, the most trips total and the largest percentage of commute biking trips. Winners will be announced at a special event on June 7. Learn more online.
Want to get announcements about UW Commuter Services bike events? Sign-up is available online.